5yearcoueshunter

Father and son muzzleloader success

Hey everyone,

My Dad and I just got back from the Gila on a muzzleloader hunt and we both had success. This was without a doubt the best hunt we've been on together, especially since we didn't even think we were going to be able to hunt deer this year when we didn't draw a tag in June. Thanks to a few leftover tags in a unit we were somewhat familiar with, we were able to go deer hunting and have a very memorable experience.

After missing a small fork horned Coues on Day 2, (which is very typical for me lol) I was able to find this beautiful Muley on day 3 up in a rough canyon which I thought had all Coues deer. I was in total shock when he stepped out of the canyon bottom. I had no hesitation on this buck and was able to put him down at 212 yards.

P1010039.jpg

P1010044.jpg

P1010049.jpg

He is the biggest Muley I've ever shot and man he was difficult to get out. We guessed him to field dress between 180 - 200lbs. We ended up having to pack him out in quarters as the canyon was just too steep to carry him out whole. I shot him at 10:30 on Day 3 and we didn't get all the meat out till noon on Day 4. I can't thank my Dad enough for all he did in helping me get this buck out.

On the last day of the hunt, even though my Dad was tired and had sore muscles, he was determined to hunt all day long. Well that decision definately paid off for him as he took his first Coues deer! He just turned 60 this year and he couldn't have asked for a better trophy. I couldn't believe it when he called me on the radio and told me. And not only was it his first Coues deer, but it was a very good buck that I think just about anybody would put their tag on. I was so excited and happy for my Dad. If it wasn't for him I would never started hunting and definately would never have wanted to hunt Coues. I remember the day when he went hunting for them for the first time and came back home and described how neat and special these deer were. After that I had to go hunt them and have been hooked ever since. I owe just about everything to him and I was just as happy or more happy as when I got my first Coues a couple years back. We scored him right at 100, but my Dad is going to have someone officially score it as I don't have much experience scoring.

P1010066.jpg

P1010068.jpg

Dad8X10.jpg

P1010091.jpg

Like I said, this was the best hunt we've been on together. My Dad and I are still somewhat in shock as we really didn't expect to get anything on this leftover muzzleloader tag. I think it just goes to show that anything can happen when hunting and every tag you can get is a good tag.

Thanks

Travis

Travis,

That is awesome, I'm going to have to start looking more seriously at the leftover tags. Thanks for sharing your hunt with us, I love this time of the year. ;)

--Bill

nice job

Awesome! thanks for sharing. For sure it is the best getting to hunt with our Fathers. I was just talking to mine today planning some backpacking scouting trips to get a head start on next year. Thanks again and congrats on some great bucks!

What a great hunt. I agree with you that every hunt can turn up a good buck, and both of these are great bucks! That was a heck of a shot with your blackpowder........what caliber?

My distance is about 100 yards. But, I'm pretty primitive - no scope, no sabots - just the basics. But then again I grew up shooting instinctively with the bow also......people think I'm crazy????

Sam

Nothing better than spending some shooting time with Dad in the hills.

Great bucks and congrats to both of you!

Thanks everyone for your replys!

Sam, I'm shooting a 50 caliber rifle with a 175 grain 40 caliber Red Hot Sabbot at about 2400 fps with 150 grains of powder. I'm only 1 inch high at 50 which puts me about 2 inches low at 200. Shooting an Omega with 2.5 X 8 power scope. So, not very primitive! ha-ha Hunting has never come that easy to me so I try to be equipped as best I can. I have total respect for guys who can get it done with primitive muzzleloaders and bows of any kind. I did shoot my first buck with an old hammer Thomspon with peep sites. That was fun and I have been thinking about doing that again sometime on one of the primitive hunts they have here in NM.

Thanks again,

Travis