galiuro mountain man

Got my deer yesterday

I tagged out yesterday morning. I have been hunting hard the past couple of weeks looking for two certain bucks I have on trail cam pictures. They are both roughly 110 to 115 inch bucks, but they dissapeared a week before season. I think all the extra water we got the week before the hunt spread the deer out, and the two bucks split up and went to the bottoms of some nasty canyons. I did see some nice bucks though, just couldnt get a shot at any. My wife and I saw a buck around 100" on the first sunday, but it was right before dark across a nasty canyon about 350 yards away. Then on this past sunday I saw two 90" + bucks. One in the morning and the other right at dark, The first one was about 20 yards from me and my hunting buddy, but niether of us got a shot, he spooked about two seconds too soon. The other one was right before dark too far away to stalk him. Those were the big bucks this year.

My buck wasnt very big, he was a small 3x4, about 60 or so inches. I had passed a shot on him and another one his size once at about 40 yards at a waterhole on Tuesday of last week. On Wednesday last week I saw him and the other buck again in the morning and decided to pass on the stalk, he was about 150 yards in front of me feeding my way. I saw him once again though binos on sunday afternoon. I went home on sunday night to shower, and I was talking with my wife, she was telling me how we were just about out of meat and I was not liking the gas prices, so I told her then I would shoot any buck I saw.

Monday we got back out to where we had been seeing the deer the past couple of days, and there was the buck, not 1/2 mile from the truck. I drew, and let the arrow go, it hit good, but one blade from the mechanical BH cought the elbow, hung up, and just barely punctured a lung, I didnt realize when I shot he had his leg in a funny position, till my buddy told me, and I saw him run by. The chase was on, I didnt know I had hit a lung untill a little later in the chase when I caught him. I would have let him lay down and die. I only thought I had hit the leg, so I chased him to keep the broad head working, so he might bleed out. After about 300 yards of following him I saw him laying down 60 yards away, all I could see was his head and neck, so I aimed for his neck, shot, and he was up again, but only for 30 yards. He layed back down, and was looking at me. I couldnt see any blood from his neck, so I thought I missed the second shot. I found that I hit him right through the neck, but didnt hit anything vital. I snuck up on him and was able to get a 20 yard double lung shot, and it was over in about 10 more seconds. When gutting him I found out my first arrow had hit him and poked a little hole in the bottom of his lung. I think I am done with mechanicals now. Had I used a fixed blade, the first shot would have deflected off the bone and caught both lungs, and possibly part of his heart, instead of hanging up. I still had fun though, cant wait for January.

GMM

I agree with the mechanicals. I was talked in to buying some again (the Snyper 100s) for this years hunt. Last night when I was removing them from my quiver, the blades came unscrewed from the point, and pulled out the foam. These things are junk! If I just spin them on the arrow, they will open up. Any shot past 40 yards, and they will open, well one blade atleast, and send the arrow way off course. I'm glad I didn't have a shot when I was carrying these!

Good job on the buck! But I have to ask too, where are the pics? :ph34r:

Congrats GMM,

Can't wait too see the pictures, and the way gas prices are going up I think you made a wise decision.

i agree with you guys about the mechanicals, I have never used them, nor do i ever plan on it, I have a friend of mine that shoots them, and he has lost several deer, its not good when you wound a deer and end up not getting it, I have always used fixed blades with great satisfaction, He shot a deer a week ago, a little mulie, the arrow went straight into his chest about 10 inches....and fell right back out, this arrow hit no bone, nothing just flesh.....if it wasnt for hitting the jugular, not too sure how much damage it would of done....i just dont believe in them, I finally talked him into using a fixed blade for his archery bull hunt......you just need something with more duriability and cut on contact.....

happy hunting and may your arrows fly straight......

GMM, congrats on your deer. I am jealous, I havent went out with a bow before but need to get off my butt and do it, maybe january. I will shoot a spike even because of the respect I have for anyone who gets a coues with a bow. Congrats again on a fine job.......Allen Taylor.......