Sign in to follow this  
mason a

Opening morning bull

After months of scouting and game cameras pictures of about 35 bulls and 0 cows , We thought we were ready, but some of my hunting buddy's kept telling me those bigger bulls will leave the area to look for cows. sure enough 3 weeks before my hunt all those bulls are long gone only a few rag horns left. Back to square one , looking for cows, fortunately my brother helped me out and did some scouting for me in a different area and found some cows , we were back in business. Spent Thursday , the day before the hunt getting a game plan for the next day, Fortunately that evening the bulls were making some noise and had a few bulls bugling back and forth. Good enough , gonna start there in the morning.Went to bed and shortly after the wind started blowing pretty hard, we were bummed. Friday morning still blowing about 10 mph, But did hear a bugle , My brother was awesome on the cow call, We got in within about 200 yards ,But he hung up, there was another bull also bugling close by. It was pretty thick so we tried to get a little closer before he shut up all together. We new he was close less then 75 yards but still could not see him. I peeked around a cedar bush and there he was broadside looking at me 50 yards away, A million things went through my mind in a split second .(Its only opening morning,Is he big enough?, aim , relax, Etc), but man he is wide,SHOOT.!

It was all done by 7 am. opening morning. One well placed shot to the vitals and he only went 30 yards. He is a beautiful bull, fortunately there was an old 2 track rd close by so we were able to winch him into the back of the truck. After we gutted him , we packed his cavity with 6 frozen milk jugs to keep him cool and put 15 bags of ice on him because it was about a 2 hour drive to the butcher/taxidemist in snowflake and I wanted him to cape it out perfectly for a mount. I was a bit nervous not skinning the whole elk at that time ,But we had it to him so fast that he finished the skinning job with no dirt or hair and he said the meat will be perfect.

The hanging meat weighed 420 lbs, a lot heavier then my last elk. A special thanks to my brother for all his help. He is the one in the pictures with all the hair , i am the bald one

The inside spread is 51 inches , both main beams are 52 inches,

Gross score is 351 4/8 inches

post-1975-0-40810900-1317541538_thumb.jpg

post-1975-0-07956000-1317541562_thumb.jpg

post-1975-0-92402900-1317541594_thumb.jpg

post-1975-0-59630400-1317541646_thumb.jpg

post-1975-0-90311700-1317541673_thumb.jpg

Congrats Mason. Don't worry about anyone's opinion but your own. If you are happy that is all that matters. Beautiful bull.

Good call, that was a shooter! Thanks for the story, There always better with family involved.

Heck of a nice bull, now that I can see it better. Cell phone pics dont do it justice! Wells looks like a maniac with that knife in his hand!!LOL.

Hes a great guy, Glad I could pass some info to him on the area.. I had that tag twice in the past and didnt kill, so you did great!

Congratulations!!

Ron

Heck of a nice bull, now that I can see it better. Cell phone pics dont do it justice! Wells looks like a maniac with that knife in his hand!!LOL.

Hes a great guy, Glad I could pass some info to him on the area.. I had that tag twice in the past and didnt kill, so you did great!

Congratulations!!

Ron

Thanks for your help Ron, I've never met you but my brother sure talks highly of you, Your right its not an easy hunt but the scouting paid off.

Congratulations!!

Ron

Thanks for your help Ron, I've never met you but my brother sure talks highly of you, Your right its not an easy hunt but the scouting paid off.

Happy to help any way I could... I also cant believe we grew up in the same neighborhood and didnt know each other. did he tell you that? I lived on the other side of the high school from you guys. Graduated in 86-87..

My son has the junior deer hunt this weekend out by Wells's house. Hes on his own, as I am workin. Wells gave me some super info for that and I passed it on to him.

Ron