azcouesandelk

Got My First Buck

I would like to thank Tyler (elkhunter) for coming down and helping me on my hunt.

Everybody on here knows about my scouting trips and how they paid off for my dad, well now they have paid off for me.

We woke up Friday morning at 3:30 and ate our breakfast of eggs, toast and oatmeal. We left camp at 4:00 a.m. and made the hour drive into our parking spot. After a 30 minute hike we made it to the same glassing poition that we were on during my dad's hunt. We wated close to 40 minutes before we could start glassing but the coyote chorus kept me entertained. At 6:10 we started to glass and within 5 minutes Tyler had found a doe and a fawn. Another few minutes passed and Tyler found another doe. We all continued glassing and at 6:40 I located a buck and a doe. The buck looked good so I threw my spotting scope on. I then confirmed him to be a small 3x3 with good eyeguards. After debating a few minutes I decided to go and make a stalk to get a closer look at him. While packing my stuff up the buck had bedded down. I work my way just below the ridgeline. Once I got within 400 yards I setup to get a good look at the buck. I was able to find him and determined that he would be a good first buck for me. I ranged the distance and setup for the shot. It was going to be a 335 yard shot. I take my last breath and the buck stands up and a branch is blocking his vitals. So I wait for a second and he takes off running right at me. I watch him running towards me and once he dropped down in the canyon bottom I move down the hill another 10 yards or so. I waited about 30 seconds when the first doe stepped out followed closely by the buck. I take aim and nail the buck. He ran about 25 yards before deciding to roll down the hill another 25 yards. After the shot I ranged to where he stood when I shot and it was only a 75 yard shot!!!

After the shot I go to where the buck was and found a 2 inch wide blood trail all the way to the deer. He is not the monster I was hoping for but a fine buck in my book. I gross scored him at 58 5/8.

Here is where I spotted him at.

000_0009-1.jpg

Here is the whole gang with the buck

PB090043.jpg

Here I am with my dad and my buck

PB090042.jpg

Here I am with my buck

CopyofPB090042.jpg

Now the best part. During my scouting trips I was able to locate this buck and get some pics and video of him.

Here is a pic of him while he was alive. (this is from scouting trip #3)

CopyofPA070040.jpg

Here is a short clip of him and another bigger buck that was running with him earlier in the year.

th_PA070035.jpg

And here is another short clip of just him.

th_PA070041.jpg

Also the gathering this year was a much better success. Scottyboy and his buddy, firstcoueswas80 and his dad and azfiredude came with his sons and friend. Good turnout and good conversation. Hope everybody else comes back successful.

Once again I would like to say that I could not have done it without the help and encouragement from everybody on the forum.

Nice JOb! Looks like the shot was right on target - nice shot placement.

Did you guys leave any bucks for the December hunt? :D

Thanks for sharing the pics and story! Congrats!

Doug

AzP&Y

Nice bucks its neat that you can pick him out of previous scouting trips. Thats what i call dedication. you definately deserveed this buck.

A year like this one will be hard for you to top! Great job, we're all happy for you. ;)

A year like this one will be hard for you to top! Great job, we're all happy for you. ;)

Just wait til next year :D

Guest Ernesto C

Swweeeeeeett younghunter two thumbs waaaay up for you!! Hey and did you found out why the buck ran towards you? Once again....CONGRATULATIONS!!

Swweeeeeeett younghunter two thumbs waaaay up for you!! Hey and did you found out why the buck ran towards you? Once again....CONGRATULATIONS!!

I did find out. 3 hunters came up the opposite canyon and pushed the deer right to me.

I saw the hunters before the shot and it was a perfectly safe shot since I was shooting down and to the right of the hunters into the bottom of another canyon.

I'm most likely going to get drawn for another December hunt next year so I'm pretty determined to tag along with you again...this time hopefully I can help out a little more than just carrying the buck out, congrats and you and your pops really earned your bucks this year

I'm most likely going to get drawn for another December hunt next year so I'm pretty determined to tag along with you again...this time hopefully I can help out a little more than just carrying the buck out, congrats and you and your pops really earned your bucks this year

If you get another December tag I am gonna break your other leg :P

Anyways thanks for the help man I really appreciate it.

Awesome pices! Congrats and good job! Thanks for sharing!