ScottAdams

Unit 28 Early Hunt (Success Photos)

Wow!!! What a great hunt. I went out with some guys this morning to help them out on their hunt. 2 young men ages 19 (Waldo Gutierrez) and 20 (Michael Sedgeman)had tags and had never killed a deer. A friend of theirs, Keven Davis had located some good bucks so we went in after them.

Weather was nasty last night where we were camped; lots of wind and spitting rain. This morning dawned clear but a little breezy. It didn't take long to locate the bucks. A total of 4 of them 2 2-points, a 3-point and a 4x5. The 3 point was the biggest, he was over 100 inches. The 4x5 was a good buck that would gross in the 90's. One 2-point was barely bigger than a spike and the other was an average forkhorned whitetail.

We made our plans and executed a textbook stalk on the bucks except that we couldn't find the big toad of buck 3-point. We spent several minutes trying to locate him and in the process spooked the ones we could see.

So we decided to take the 4x5 which Michael did with one shot to the head. :huh: Then we located the big boy and Waldo tried to lay him out but just couldn't connect, however the 2-point did give him a good shot and he took him out!

Man were these kids excited!!! It was a lot of fun! It sure is nice when a plan all comes together.

Scott

The 2-point before he cashed in his chips.

Waldosbucklive.jpg

The 4x5 enjoying a morning siesta.

Michaelsbucklive.jpg

Planning our strategy.

MakingPlans.jpg

2 bucks down!!

WaldoMichael.jpg

The one that got away!!

Bigcoues.jpg

BigBuckII.jpg

I'm off to 27 now for a muley hunt.

Scott

way cool!! great pix scott, i'm goin out this w/e to assist as well, hope were as lucky! 36c

very nicely done, is the 4x5 a non typical or is the rack like that because of the head shot? that 3x3 is a nice deer, hopefully ill get my old man on a deer like that this year, he says any 3x3 is going down. awesome job Scott, man those big ole docters of yours are a load !!!!! bet they get the job done though!!!

Congratulations! And thanks for sharing your story and photos with us!

Sounds like it was a great hunt.

Those are some serious optics you are hauling around with you Scott!

Hey, I seem to have missed the conclusion of your son's hunt... did he get one?

Good luck on your muley hunt!

Amanda

What an an amazing hunt!! Congrats to the two boys on their first deer and also congrats to everone else involved in the hunt. Those are two beautiful deer. Wonderful pics. Thanks for sharing.

Brian

Yes Casey, that buck was a nontypical. The photo doesn't show it but he had a point that looked like an extra eyeguard but was actually seperate from the main beam, and of course you can see the little kicker in the photo. He was young buck and may been a real bruiser in a year or so. And, yes I'm still packin' those big 30's. Can't seem to break myself of the habit.

Amanda, my son didn't kill on the youth hunt. We hunted 2 days and were able to get on some good bucks the first day but just never were able to get in on them for a shot. We passed on 2x2 and then saw 3 mountain lions. So apperently we weren't the only ones looking for Coues deer.

Scott

Hey great job Scott and Austin, on guiding, and Waldo and Micheal on the kills looks like you guys had a great time.

Title this reply...

JEALOUS IN PEORIA. :(

:D :D Congratulations to all involved in the hunt. It sound like the first hunt for these guys will be hard to top in the future! It definitely is memorable and fun to drop 2 within a short time of each other.Great story and love the pictures. Cannot make out some of them but we got the idea on others.

I imagine Scott used the same camera to take all the pics. The reason some are kind of fuzzy is that he must have held the camera up to his optics and took the pic through them. It's called "digiscoping" (taking a digital picture through a scope). It's very difficult to get a good focus when you do that. It can look great through your optics, but your camera may have trouble focusing. The other reason is that it's real hard to hold the camera steady enough to get a crisp pic. Maybe we need to pitch in a buy Scott an adapter to connect his camera to his optics!! I built a little cheap one for my camera, but it takes forever to get it all set right, so lots of times I don't use it. did you take the pic through your monster optics Scott?

Amanda

Hey Scott, awesome story and photo's, you'r pictures are the best, really appreciate you taking time to post the stories, great hunt nice bucks..CB1

Guest Ernesto C

AAAWWWEEEESSOOOOOOMEE!!! Scott congratulations to you and those young hunters,thanks for sharing the story and the pictures.God bless you all.

Ernesto C.