predator

Had fun in 21

Well, I had a good time in 21 with Geoff Tippett; saw lots of bucks, bulls, pigs, birds, you name it! Definitely some pre-rut activity going on with bucks chasing does in the middle of the day, spikes running around with lips curled up, and deer just plain running around like they were playing tag.

I actually shot a helluva buck that I am proud to say I spotted my own self in his afternoon bed; unfortunately I overestimated the wind and put the bullet a bit far back. We were all convinced he was down with a spine shot, but to our dismay and surprise (given the amount of blood he left behind) to find he had snuck out above us and into the next canyon. With no blood trail and just smears on the brush to follow, he was soon lost when he crossed onto rock. We never could find where he exited, and we never did find him. I feel very badly about it.

I then had a near rollover with a quad on a rimrock road in which I had to bail out and then grab the thing just as it was going over a cliff. I didn't think I was banged up to bad until the next couple of days, when I finally had to admit to Geoff that the pain was unbearable in my throttle hand. I was no longer having fun, and elected to come home early. Geoff was quite the gentleman about it, and I look forward to drawing again.

Thanks to everyone for their advice and for getting me pumped up about Arizona-the country and the sights were everything you said it was, and hey I even got to commiserate with Antlerboy by cell phone!

Good luck to those still hunting, it should be kickin' it after Christmas I think!

Pred,

It sounds like your hunt will be memorable in many ways good and bad. Sorry to hear about the lost buck and your hand, but glad you had an otherwise good experience in Arizona. Merry Christmas to ya.

Doug/RedRabbit

Predator

Glad you enjoyed the experience and that you lived to tell about it. Quads can get away from you now and then so count your blessings. Too bad about the buck but It sounds as you made every effort to locate him.