Sign in to follow this  
SpotNStalk

Scouting for Bighorn Sheep

I was lucky enough to draw a bighorn sheep tag in 15D. I will be going on my first scouting trip for Bighorn Sheep on September 19th. I have done all the research possible on this area from the first day I found out that I was drawn. Since then have talked to outfitters, biologists, and picked up topo maps. All that is left is to go out into the field, which I will be doing next week. My plan is to do alot of glassing and hiking, at least once a month until my hunt starts.

Would appreciate any advice from anyone that has hunted in this area or familiar with 15D. Any and all information is appreciated! Thank you.

Good luck to everybody this weekend!

make sure you go to the bighorn sheep clinic and talk to the guys that sit in the back of the room. You will find a wealth of information if you just ask around at the clinic. ;)

make sure you go to the bighorn sheep clinic and talk to the guys that sit in the back of the room. You will find a wealth of information if you just ask around at the clinic. ;)

Thanks for the tip ;)

Once a month?! If I had a sheep tag I'd be out every weekend!

Yeah, I would put all other hunts/events/interests on hold!

Well, if he's anything like me he might have other stuff that is a priority as well. I've got a job that keeps me VERY busy, plus three kids that want, need, and deserve my attention as well (and I'm all to happy to give that attention....). Once you have kids, you realize that pop-warner football & ballet/jazz can be pretty special as well. Putting all other events/interests on hold is not an option that I would choose, even if I had a sheep tag. I live by the motto; "to each their own" and I'm not going to pre-suppose how he should be spending his time or money.

I'm sure that spotNstalk will have a fine hunt either way! ;)

S.

:)

Well, if he's anything like me he might have other stuff that is a priority as well. I've got a job that keeps me VERY busy, plus three kids that want, need, and deserve my attention as well (and I'm all to happy to give that attention....). Once you have kids, you realize that pop-warner football & ballet/jazz can be pretty special as well. Putting all other events/interests on hold is not an option that I would choose, even if I had a sheep tag. I live by the motto; "to each their own" and I'm not going to pre-suppose how he should be spending his time or money.

I'm sure that spotNstalk will have a fine hunt either way! ;)

S.

And that is why I said "I would put all other hunts/events/interests on hold!"

Who, me doc????? :D :D

Like I said, I'm sure that spotNstalk will have a GREAT hunt!

S.

Prior to drawing the sheep tag, I would have probably responded the same way about being out every weekend. Between being married, having children, and being self employed, it IS difficult to get out as frequently as I would like. I appreciate the responses and welcome any information anyone has on the area!

Glad to hear you got a sheep tag!

I do not know anything about your unit, but I just completed a self guided Rocky Mnt. Sheep hunt a few weeks ago here in NM.

All I can say is research and talk to everyone you can about what to except on the hunt. Keep in mind the sheep outfitters are pretty limited with their advice, more so to self guided hunters. I would contact as many of the actual hunters as possible and listen to what they have to offer. I think most will tell you how it is and what to expect. Sounds like you are on the right track with your research.

Your research should lead you to likley areas for large rams for your unit. Check out as many of these areas as possible and don't spend to much time in one spot at first. If time is limited, spend your first trips learning the country and how to get around, look for sign, but don't waste a lot of time glassing for sheep. I think it is criticle to have as many backup areas as possible. Google earth is a great tool to go over the areas while you are at home.

I think the most important time to find rams is the week before the hunt starts. If at all possible I would take this time off and spend it finding the ram you want. Once you find some shooter keep tabs on them and try to kill on opening morning. Not sure how it is other places, but here in NM most of the big sheep are prescouted and killed on the first couple days of the hunt.

Actually, the most important advise I can offer is to enjoy being out in sheep country and relax a little if possible.