Sign in to follow this  
Tines

Some more AZ Pronghorn...

As always, Lance is busy chasing some other species so I thought I'd share some photos of our recent antelope hunt. Dan and Chris waited a long time to draw these tags so their anticipation slightly out-weighed ours. That's okay because after some of the bucks we were finding, ours caught up quite fast!

Opening day came and went with some good bucks sighted and plenty of smaller bucks like this one to stop and pose for the camera.

post-500-1221066490_thumb.jpg

The following morning started off with a bang when Lance and Dan found a great buck. Lance has all of the video and most of the pictures but these will paint an okay picture. Here's his buck live from the video just before the shot took place.

post-500-1221068318_thumb.jpg

Here's the picture I've got with Dan and his "slightly non-typical" buck.

post-500-1221066682_thumb.jpg

In the mean time, Chris and Russ have been off in another unit not far away playing around with bucks themselves. Not finding anything worthy of placing their tag on, the evening was closing in on us once again. I climbed to a vantage point and commenced to glassing while everyone else did the same thing.

post-500-1221066877_thumb.jpg

That evening, we found at least 10 bucks between all of us until about 3.5 miles away I found a lone goat standing out in the open. He appeared to be "posturing" but I couldn't see anything that got his attention. A short time later, I glanced back to the goat and saw 5 more in the direction he was looking with one out in front giving him the same look. Then the chase was on!!! I knew then that they were bucks (since I was too far to tell and the heat waves put an axe to the spotting scope). The small buck retreated to the trees and the herd buck tended to his does......in more ways than one! By this time, the sun had taken it's final break and the heat waves died off. I could now see he appeared to be a decent buck and Russ and Chris had better get on the move before it got too dark.

Finally, with what appeared to take FOREVER, they managed to make it over to the buck. To their surprise, the antelope were smack dab in the middle of an elk herd, with a bull that wouldn't quit bugling. Awesome! Here's a picture to give you an idea of their surroundings. That's a cow elk on the left side.

post-500-1221067450_thumb.jpg

The buck had his head down the entire time until finally he picked his head up and started walking away. By this time, a doe had them pegged as you can see in the picture.

post-500-1221067568_thumb.jpg

It didn't take them long to decide this buck was a shooter so they put the hammer down as soon as the shot came. I'm watching everything through the binos so even when I see the buck drop in his tracks, I'm too far to hear the shot! That was a first! Here's their set-up and post-shot picture. Buck was 322 yards.

post-500-1221067885_thumb.jpg

And finally, the end result.....

post-500-1221067974_thumb.jpg

Needless to say, we were all ecstatic. Bucks with 16"+ horns and 6 1/2" prongs are hard to come by. Great times with some even better people.........

Whew!! fantastics story Pics And Bucks. Congrats to everyone involved!!!

Wow sweet bucks! Thanks for the pics and story! Congrats to the hunters.

Phil

Hey Tines tell Dan congrats on a unique lope. I can't believe I am seeing pictures of it here now. Here are some pictures I took of it on August 24th at about 25 yards. They are hand held so not perfectly clear. I have 24 shots of him if Dan would like them I will be glad to email them to you. I am curious how the barb wire damage looked when he killed it.

Lope1-1.jpg

Lope2.jpg

Lope3.jpg

In this last one he is tearing the heck of of this bush, he totally thrashed it.

Lope4-1.jpg

Dave,

Way cool! Thanks for the pictures. Beautiful! I'm sure Dan would love the pictures! Shoot, we'd all love the pictures....

You know, Lance took care of the buck and was there for it all. I never saw the hide. I know he mentioned something about the bucks hide and what appeared to be some fence issues. I'll ask him. Send me whatever you want and I'll kick them to Dan... Thanks again

lindseyjm@msn.com

To answer some other questions. Dan's buck topped out at 83". Imagine if he actually had some decent prongs!!!!!!!!

Chris' buck broke his other prong off. We were so dissappointed. Based on how clean and brand new the break was and some other measuruing, we had every reason to believe he was the same on the other side. Still, as he sits, he scored 83 1/2". As soon as he gets his prong back, he'll go 86"!!! BTW, don't forget, we're not fishermen here....

DANG JAKE! :blink: An 83" buck and a 86" buck in the same day! :blink: WOW that must have been fun! I bet a lot of pre season work went into that! Man, I wish I could have been there.... Oh wait... :P ;)

PS. those are awesome pictures DAVE! Thanks. I didn't know if the damage was from a fience or if another buck had rolled him?

Lance

cool. the guys i was with got one that will go in the 83 to 85 range. the other one was ok, but no record. good job. Lark.