I have heard many diferent ways of doing what people are now calling a "Rib Roll". I wanted to share with you the way we do it. "TLO Rib Roll"

Im sure other people do this as well but for those that don't know I hope the picture helps!

This is done when Quartering or deboning for packout.

The way we do this is to include ALL the rib meat and brisket and neck meat in one solid peice. Note, the backstrap is not conected, but the rest of it all comes off in one nice pice!

Some say the meat in between the ribs is no good or not worth the time. I say it is, and the Law says it is as well.

Have you ever ordered ribs at a restaurant? Do you not eat the meat in between the ribs???? I lick every bone clean myself and it is all dang good!

Starting from the rear, cut along the forward side of the entire last rib, then fold the meat back and then cut into the next rib from underneath and continue to cut from underneath the same way the rest of the way including the brisket and neck meat up to the back of the scull. Set out to cool and then roll it up tight into a nice solid manageable pice.

We are deboning from the rear toward the head. You can see the head and horns in the left side of the picture to make heads and tails of it.

A proseser will usually use this meat for buger or sausage! (lots of sausage!)

But the rib, brisket and neck meat will make the best roast on the whole elk!!! it has the most fat and will be the most flavorfull and MOIST of all elk roasts! I like to slowly crock pot it Tell The Silver Skin Turns To Soft Gelly! AWESOME ROAST!

Lance

Lance

post-669-1224866476_thumb.jpg

the ribs and neck are parts that a lot of folks overlook. thanks for posting this. that's a real clean job. appears you have some butcher experience. when i was in high school i worked in a butcher shop for a couple years. it has been very valuable experience over the years. i always carry a wyoming saw. after you get the neck and front leg off and peel out the backstrap, you can take a saw and go through the ribs near the spine and with a little work you can roll the ribs right up into a fairly tight roll to pack out and you can bone em out when you get to the house. it takes about one stroke per rib on deer and maybe 2 or 3 on elk. ribs saw easy. on a deer anyway. on an elk you might have to do a little saw work between the ribs at the brisket to get it to roll up. this is what i always do this on an elk when i'm using and equine to retrieve it. getting rid of the spine and pelvis saves a lot of weight and leaves no meat to waste. the ribs and neck aregreat. take the neck (or necks) and put em in a crockpot or one o' them throw away alluminum pans and put it in the oven for 6 or 8 hours. shred the meat off and make green chili, bbq, etc. great stuff. same process works well on the ribs too. good post. Lark.

Good post Lance ;)

Looks like you could do that with the gutless method as well

just cutting on the lower side of the rib.

Thanks for showing your method with us new and seasoned hunters.

Good post Lance ;)

Looks like you could do that with the gutless method as well

just cutting on the lower side of the rib.

Thanks for showing your method with us new and seasoned hunters.

It is part of the gutless method.... the part that is often overlooked. :rolleyes: It is not an overwelming amount of meat on the "rib roll but.... waste not, want not! ;)

Great post Lance! A good chunk of grind meat per side if done right, like you have it in the pic.

That's awesome Lance, the picture really helped to illustrate what your saying too. I've always done it the hard way where you end up with a bunch of loose peices, that looks alot easier all the way around! Thanks, JIM>

I butcher my own all my game , but I sometimes feel that I did a very good job at it. I seperate each muscle cut off as much meat as possable. for ka-bobs or what I call fooballs(little cuts rapped in bacon). Anyone rec. a book on wild game.

I just saw this and thought i would add my own experience. "rib roll" to me this is an incredible dish taught to me by BUTCH the BUTCHER. used to cut meat at bashas (iga?) in Payson. I enlisted butchs help many times 17 years ago when we both lived in Christopher Creek. i was the roadkill salvage guy... when you get lots of game meat and are a bachelor if ya smart ya hand it out to all ladies in area so ya get some home cooked meals in return. ANYWAYS-- Butch showed me to shave all fat & meat from front to back up and down in all off outside of ribcage in one big slab. on an elk this is decent serving... we did not include rib meat in this roll. you end up with probably 3-7#s of heaven. depends on size of elk and shot placement.

its been awhile but i believe i simply hammered rib roll out like chicken fried steak, floured, salt & peppered, wrapped with stuffing like you would stuff a turkey. wrapp in bacon and tie it all up. bake in oven 3-5 (depends on size)hours low temp/ im telling you not only does oit taste good but when you slice it and have these swirled layers of greatness wrapped inside, PEOPLE WILL BE IMPRESSED. little mashed and gravy and your golden!! i made the mistake of taking to work with me at creekside steakhouse and sending it into bar for samples to locals and yes they ate every bit of it. i look forward to getting some next week, its been a while. you only get 2 per elk so make them count. i got spoiled with the roadkill salvage permits back then and had quite a few rolls per year.

happy hunting & eating.

I wish AGFD allowed people to salvage roadkill (as I understand it they only allow the person who hit the deer to keep it, not someone who comes upon it later). It seems such a waste.

Your rib roll recipe sounds great! Love the description of "swirled layers of greatness" :lol:

Amanda

hello -- I been preachin debonin- gut or gutless methods for several years now ! Each side has 4 main pieces - front leg - back leg - backstraps and the ribroll - i tell'm to start at the ribcage and cut inbetween each rib as carefully as possible and continue cutting all the meat off the brisket and neck in one huge slab- care to be taken around the neck as a lot of litlle vertabrate bones - bamm - roll it over do it agin - dont forget the loins or any internal organs you want - your done ! I guess shame on me cuz I call the rib roll -- burger meat - oh well -

nice illustration Lance -- Gary

Thanks Lance for your illustration of your process. Hopefully I can give it a try this Nov. I usually end up with many pieces as well but will try your method out next time. Thanks again for sharing some of your knowledge with us and I can't wait to put it to the test. Good luck on all your hunts this year. :)

TJ

I wish AGFD allowed people to salvage roadkill (as I understand it they only allow the person who hit the deer to keep it, not someone who comes upon it later). It seems such a waste.

Your rib roll recipe sounds great! Love the description of "swirled layers of greatness" :lol:

Amanda

Not sure if they still do but 17 years ago it was person who hit it or person they signed it over to. ;) i just happened to work at restaurant that was first stop out of the killing field. you know the area by Christopher Creek on 260 the way 260 used to go straight through C.C..from colcord road to little green valley was DEADLY. thank God for new set up. My boss and restaurant owner at that time OLIVE would let me go get critters. gals working front desk would come tell me when someone came in to use phone for elk strike. i would go out & first of all make sure no injuries then make sure they were not stranded. last i would explain what the meat meant to those of us in a small community with lower incomes. some people would just think your NUTS. MOST PEOPLE would agree to sign elk to me when highway patrol arrived. highway patrol usually acted as if it were a burdon on them but WHO CARES THATS GOOD MEAT. :)

The only funny time was a bunch of fraternity guys sitting in dining room drunk and telling of the huge deer they ran into that TOTALLED friends truck by gravel pit/colcord rd. i approached offered my assistance, they needed place to camp, i agreed to help for the elk and some a beer of course since they did have a keg in back of truck. :rolleyes: so i took guys to tonto creek campgrounds and then took 2 lucky izod shirt plaid short wearing frat boys to help me with elk. :lol: i had to work quick (temp) so i just cut that little spike bull right in half and made these guys help me lift into truck. i picked up liver and pretended to take bite. they freaked & took picture said it was going on wall above mantle at frat house. :lol: I took those guys back to their friends bloody from head to toe.

so to recap. kid hits elk in dads truck, kid totals dads truck, kids sign meat to me, couple kids ruin their clothes, couple kids still probably having nightmares about mountain man eating raw elk liver, to top it off i took couple friends down to their camp and helped drink their keg ;) :lol: :P oh ya, when i pulled up to their camp 6 of the guys were walking down road with fresh cut sapplings for firewood :o . they had no freakin clue. :lol:

i hope this story puts a grin on your face when you read cuz im still laughing 17 years later.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just wanted to add a couple more pictures to the mix. On a bull buffalo it is truly a fine slab of prime meat!

Lance

post-669-1260503081.jpg

post-669-1260503095.jpg