This is a TLO Archery buffalo we took this August! Depending on shot placement of bullet or arrow, some trimming of the rib roll may be needed.

Lay out a fine slab of rib roll and rub in a nice dry rub! Roll it back up and tie it like a roast and Smoke it just like a beef briskit! :rolleyes: oh my!

The flank meat on a large animal like an elk or buffalo can be worth its weight if the time is taken to prepare it properly just like on a beef. If an animal is already gutted it can easaly come off with the rib roll. But if the guttless meathod is being used then you can carfully take this off as the very last thing you do, as it will let the gut sag out and will be in the way of doing any more work. But if the flank meat is aloud to dry too much in the field or where ever, as it often does on one side. Then it is usually too thin to salvage meat from the other side. So keep it wraped up, clean and dont let it dry out.

Lance

post-669-1260503698_thumb.jpg

post-669-1260503808_thumb.jpg

post-669-1260503882_thumb.jpg

This is a TLO Archery buffalo we took this August! Depending on shot placement of bullet or arrow, some trimming of the rib roll may be needed.

Lay out a fine slab of rib roll and rub in a nice dry rub! Roll it back up and tie it like a roast and Smoke it just like a beef briskit! :rolleyes: oh my!

The flank meat on a large animal like an elk or buffalo can be worth its weight if the time is taken to prepare it properly just like on a beef. If an animal is already gutted it can easaly come off with the rib roll. But if the guttless meathod is being used then you can carfully take this off as the very last thing you do, as it will let the gut sag out and will be in the way of doing any more work. But if the flank meat is aloud to dry too much in the field or where ever, as it often does on one side. Then it is usually too thin to salvage meat from the other side. So keep it wraped up, clean and dont let it dry out.

Lance

Dang Lance..........great butchering lessons and pics. But..............has the quad in the first pic been driven off-road? Shame on you............

"Dang Lance..........great butchering lessons and pics. But..............has the quad in the first pic been driven off-road? Shame on you............"

As a matter of fact, ;) there were many quads there! It was an area that is legal to drive off road to retrieve your game animal, but indeed the bull fell in the middle of a road anyway! :lol:

Didn't you read the story's? ;)

Fallow the links below for a good read and loads of pictures!

http://forums.coueswhitetail.com/forums/in...&hl=buffalo

http://forums.coueswhitetail.com/forums/in...&hl=buffalo

Lance

Lance, I tried your Rib Roll method this year on my archery elk and it worked great. I explained it to my nephew, in Colorado, and he did it on his moose and thought it was the neatest thing not gutting the animal and will tell his friends up there so you have not only helped me but now have it rolling in Colorado as well. Thanks again Lance. :)

TJ