Sign in to follow this  
willhunt4coues

Deer and ELK?

Okay now if you have been up around Globe you probably already know that the biggest mountains we have is the pinal mountains. Now the pinals are only about 7000' at the peeks and Globe is about 3800'. Now here in town when you talk about elk being in the pinals some will say bs and some will say I have seen them. Well I finally got a picture of an old cow that always hangs out in the brush on the east side of the pinals. Now this cow is always by herself and is always pretty alert, I have seen her two years ago and now again this past weekend.

This is a zoomed out picture

post-2094-1229959582_thumb.jpg

And now the picture zoomed in

post-2094-1229959603_thumb.jpg

On our way out looking for a buck for my dad we also ran into this nice buck.

Zoomed out

post-2094-1229959617_thumb.jpg

Zoomed in

post-2094-1229959624_thumb.jpg

We had a great weekend out messing around. On saturday Andrew (cubsfan) came up to do a little of archery hunting also here is a pic of him and my dad

post-2094-1229959938_thumb.jpg

we also got a great picture of the sunrise.

post-2094-1229960032_thumb.jpg

Very nice!! I found elk scat on the north side of the pinals this summer. Wasn't that old. And I know there are elk in the Hog Mtns which is not very far east of where you saw that cow. I think they are left over from the Cutter elk herd, which they say started from an accidental release of elk.

here is what AGFD elk management plan says about elk in the Pinals and 24a:

In Unit 24A, elk occur in two locations. Periodic observations of elk in and around the Timber

Camp Mountains in the northern portion of the unit indicate presence of pioneering bulls and

seasonal use by some cow elk. There is also a small number of elk in the Pinal Mountains but

the elk habitat is poor. The Pinal Mountain elk are most likely remnants of the Cutter herd.

Periodic observations of elk have been made within these areas of Unit 24A for several decades.

Population levels seem to be remaining stable, at low densities, with no complaints from

landowners or lessees. Proximity of these areas to the San Carlos Reservation may complicate

management of elk in Unit 24A.

Amanda

Photoshop!

;)

Its all done off of my camera. I have a Nikon d80. You can zoom in, crop, pic size, filters, i think it might even wipe my......well you know. :D

While hunting for bear behind Fort Grant, I also found lots of elk scat in some of the nastiest terrain. It was very steep and the brush was super thick. I was told my a game and fish officer that there is a resident herd up on top near the Lake. David

Your mention of the Cutter elk herd brought back some memories, Amanda.

My father killed a spike bull in what was supposed to be the "elk extermination hunt" on that part of the San Carlos Indian Reservation. The tribe's cattlemen wanted all elk removed from that mountain and the Arizona Game and Fish Commission obliged by issuing permits. The Arizona Game Protective Association (later to become the Arizona Wildlife Federation) screamed and protested to no avail.

I was not along on that hunt and I don't remember how old I was but I think it was in the early 1950s. Later, he told me he drove to the sawmill at Cutter, turned right and drove to the end of the road, where he went off on foot and killed his elk the first day. This was before anyone used binoculars and his elk gun at the time was a .30-40 Krag that he had "sporterized" by sawing off the barrel and forestock.

The state still had jurisdiction over fish and wildlife on Indian lands then, but I'm sure he paid a fee to the tribe for his tag. I'm sure of this because I shot my second-ever bull on the point where the Little and Big Bonitas come together on the White Mountain Apache Reservation. I was going to college and had little money, but I managed to save and scrounge to pay the $25 surcharge and the state's $17.50 elk permit fee. I hunted that reservation one more time, when I shot an antelope near Burnt Corral in the early 1970s. The surcharge still was $25.

Bill Quimby

While hunting for bear behind Fort Grant, I also found lots of elk scat in some of the nastiest terrain. It was very steep and the brush was super thick. I was told my a game and fish officer that there is a resident herd up on top near the Lake. David

I've hunted bears over there and saw quite a few elk actually. Some at the base of the Grahams and quite a big herd by Bar X canyon I think the name was. Saw a nice 6x7 bull out in the flats bugling. Blew my mind!!

Hey guys, bringing this post back to life I hope. I've been hunting my rump off from Hookers Gap all the way to Mocho Tanks on foot from top to bottom, glassing every inch and nothing! It's an either sex hunt and I only have a few days left and at my wits end. I keep hearing about Bar X Canyon there is elk there and the O/O Ranch, any particar area I should check? I'll be tickled with just a cow at this point as I have literally put on 50 miles on foot the last 2 week up by the red checking every single canyon and hole there is.any help I greatly appreciate!

Very nice!! I found elk scat on the north side of the pinals this summer. Wasn't that old. And I know there are elk in the Hog Mtns which is not very far east of where you saw that cow. I think they are left over from the Cutter elk herd, which they say started from an accidental release of elk.

here is what AGFD elk management plan says about elk in the Pinals and 24a:

In Unit 24A, elk occur in two locations. Periodic observations of elk in and around the Timber

Camp Mountains in the northern portion of the unit indicate presence of pioneering bulls and

seasonal use by some cow elk. There is also a small number of elk in the Pinal Mountains but

the elk habitat is poor. The Pinal Mountain elk are most likely remnants of the Cutter herd.

Periodic observations of elk have been made within these areas of Unit 24A for several decades.

Population levels seem to be remaining stable, at low densities, with no complaints from

landowners or lessees. Proximity of these areas to the San Carlos Reservation may complicate

management of elk in Unit 24A.

Amanda

Some friends say they have seen elk behind the hospital in Globe

The away they keep showing up all over the place, Im quickly becoming convinced that elk are nothing more than very big rats with antlers. They keep sneaking on freight cars of trains, truck trailers, ships and everything else so that soon they will literally be everywhere. Start buying glue traps now because soon they will even be in your pantry. And i still wont be able to draw a bull tag!