Sign in to follow this  
grizzly

Organ Donors

Someone very close to me recently was put up for a heart transplant. Still very young with 3 young kids at home. He was told it will take about a year to get one that suits his size and blood type.

I never was a donor before but I am now. How many of you are and if you arent GO GET IT DONE! Thanks.

Very coincedental you say that, my first cousin is in the Mayo Clinic awaiting a heart transplant as well. Mother, early 30's, 4 young children. It's a tough one to swallow for just the person, let alone the kids and spouse that are affected. I hope it works out for your friend. God Bless.

A Registry that is too often overlooked is the Bone Marrow Donor Registry. This gives everyone the chance to help someone in need without losing one’s life. A good friends daughter is in need of a marrow transplant so my company sponsored a donor drive – we were able to register 88 people in one day. In that process I learned a lot about the process and the need. Currently there’s a large gap in the registry for Hispanics and individuals that are mixed race. The chances of finding a non-related donor is extremely low. If you’re Hispanic or of mixed race the chances are even lower.

So if you are thinking of becoming a donor also register with the Bone Marrow Donor Registry. It only takes about 15 minutes and a few drops of your blood.

For more information you can go to www.Marrow.org

Yep on both, organ and marrow.

Phil

Me too!

My Grandfather was a heart transplant recipient in the early 90's and I have been a donor since then.... I used to give blood quite a bit as well.... have not been making a point to do you it these last few years.

I also have been a Organ donor for years

Even when all you had to do was indicate it on you DL.

When you had to register I made a point of doing it.

As bustednuckles said " I won't need them".

Shut up Gino :angry: I don't want to hear about pickled :rolleyes:

I will look into the Marrow registry and take care of that also.

Good topic ;)

Most of mine are no good anyways. My friend recieved a liver. He passed a few months after that, but it gave him a few more months withhis wife and three children. He was 32 years old and passed the day after his birthday and a day before his aniversary. All those that are donors should be thanked by us all for doing this for others.

• Like 1

Most of mine are no good anyways. My friend recieved a liver. He passed a few months after that, but it gave him a few more months withhis wife and three children. He was 32 years old and passed the day after his birthday and a day before his aniversary. All those that are donors should be thanked by us all for doing this for others.

You are right, it means allot to those that receive them and the waiting list is long.

I really do not understand why everyone does not do it since as already said

"I won't need them anyway"

Our sole and being will move on but the tissue is just going to go away :(

Hope that was polite enough ;)

And for your comment on another topic :angry:

How did most of yours get bad :huh: JK

my dad just had a kidney/ pancreas transplant... he was on the list for a year and 4 months. it has changed his life so much he was on dialisis for about a year he had been diabetic since he was 17 and he is doing great now. he was having to drive 45 minutes every other day for dialisis. he can now eat just about anything he wants. so please all of u that are against donating organs, think hard about it. my wife is pregnant with our first child right now and im happy my kid is gonna have a good grandpa. my dad taught me everything i know about the mountains, hunting, fishing, and just life. hope i can pass down those things to our children too.

Sure am.... what the heck can I do with my "innards" when I am dead? If people need them they can have them :)

I know two people who have received heart and lung transplants. It's not an easy road for them to recovery, but it definitely gives them more time with their loved ones.

Amanda

Okay boy's and girls, I just registered to be a donor thanks for reminding me. I have been wanting to do it for a long time but with easy link Amanda put up it's done. woo hoo