Guest 300ultramag.

Recipes while out in the sticks...

Guest 300ultramag.
Make sure you remember which way the handle is pointing Beau when you bury the oven. Otherwise you could end up with some mineral supplements when you dig it up. :lol:

i would really like to get one....... need to get drawn first :P

im sure ill goof up my first time usin a dutch oven:lol:

I seved my apprenticeship in Camping 101 through 404 years ago. If there is a restaurant and a motel within an hour's drive of where I'm hunting, that's where you will find me at breakfast and dinner. After six decades of every imaginable type of camp, from a bedroll tossed on the ground to $200,000 motorhomes, I have earned a real toilet, a shower, a bed with sheets and blankets, and a TV to help me fall asleep.

Lunch, though, is a different matter. A two-hour round trip, especially with what gasoline costs, just for lunch doesn't make sense so we eat where we hunt. I like my sandwiches FRESH, and neither soggy nor dry so, if we're able to get back to our truck at noon, I like to build them on the tailgate just before we eat, and not have them sit around for hours.

Here are some of my favorites:

Tuna sandwiches -- I store cans of all-white-meat tuna packed in water in my ice chest, one small can for each person to be fed. When ready to eat, I open cans, drain, and break up tuna in a bowl. I then add mayo, hamburger relish and chopped onions and celery (these are chopped at home and kept in ice chest in baggies) and stir until mixed. Next I slice large croissants (I prefer those from Sam's Club),slather a bit more mayo on them and add sliced tomatoes and lettuce leaves (also prepared at home) and the tuna mixture. I serve the sandwiches with Fritos or potato chips and large cups of milk.

Fried ham sandwiches -- I slice ham about 3/8 inches thick and fry until crisp at home. For bread, I try to find the freshest subs at a bakery. When ready to eat, the subs are lightly slathered with mayo, filled with generous servings of the cold, fried ham, along with mustard, slices of onion and tomatoe, and a lettuce leafs. They're served with potato salad, also from a deli, and bottles of dark beer (Because I take an anticoagulant, I must drink non-alcoholic O'Doul's).

If we've cooked beef in a Crock Pot at home that week, I'll serve it instead of ham and use barbecue sauce instead of mayo. I also sometimes cook sausages on a small fire, and use them on fresh subs.

Bill Quimby

• Like 1

Ribeyes are #1 on my list. Then I will say Cornish Gam Hens in a 12" dutchoven. I can cook three hens in one oven. Drench all three hens in butter then season pretty heavy with favorite cajun spice. Place a small wire rack in bottom of dutch oven that raises it off the bottom about 1". Put 10 brickets under and 20 on top and cook for about 75 to 90 minutes. If the top of the hens start getting brown too soon just place a piece of tinfoil on top of the hens to keep from burning. Then take a 10" dutchoven and make cheesy au gratin potatoes. Layer sliced potatoes,salt, pepper, onions until you have as many you need. Put melted butter over each layer as you build it up. Once you have as many as you want, mix a can of chedder cheese soup with 1/3 cup of milk and pour over the top then sprinkle with Italian bread crumbs. Place on top of 12" duchoven and cover lid with about 15 brickets. Cook that for about an hour. Once done, spread grated cheese on top, let melt then serve.

This year we have a sun oven we are going to try out. Been using it at home and it works great. Going to set it up and let some ribs simmer and cook all day then come back to camp and have dinner ready. Tried this at home and it works great.

Brian

• Like 1

Well when it comes to camp foods in our crew we like Quick, Good , and filling ... I usually prepare Breakfast burritos at home then wrap in aluminum foil then vacum seal them .... a pan and steam rack is excellent for warming them in the morning at the same time your are perking your coffee... lunches are always pretty pack oriented ... pouched tuna or meats .. lots of granola bars and fruits... but for dinners it depends on how long and time of year but usual choices are Arrival night almost always fried chicken brought with from home or KFC want the extgra time setting up camp not cooking then Ribeye's (marinated at least 24 hours in montreal seasoning and Amber bach beer) with usually a side of Bush's beans , Then for great Beer Brawts the Amber Bach gets used again tried tons of different beers just found the amber to be the best ... one night is usually for some elk steaks, One night is usually Kielbasa or Hot links and Chili.... I like to Keep it Simple Stupid with minimal time needed to prepare or to clean up after when on hunts ... When Just camping everything goes from Dutchoven chicken to waiting on pit baked potatoes....

Chris

• Like 1

The first night we usually have homemade chili made at home before we go while we set up camp. From then on its anything you can get in a dutch oven. One night we usually have dutch oven chicken with either barbecue sauce or pace picante sauce. we also do pork loin, roast, or stew. We also usually smoke a brisket or two at home before we leave pre-slice it and that makes a great dinner. The left over brisket usually go for sandwiches or with eggs for breakfast. For desert its either blueberry, peach, or blackberry cobbler, or pineapple upside-down cake. For breakfast its biscuits cooked in the dutch oven, bacon, sausage or brisket and eggs.

Oh and you cant forget the New York or Rib Eye Steak seasoned with Lawry's seasoned salt, granulated garlic and pepper. That is usually the congratulations dinner after the first person tags out :D Oh and beer!!!!

Lots of great ideas here, some of which will be on my next elk hunt.

The first night after camp set up the Grocery or deli chicken is on the menu. I have always hunted hard in day so dinners have been lower on the priority. Subsequent nights have been filled with lots of canned Ravioli, Chilli or, Spagetti-os with at one night in the middle of the hunt dedicated to a town dinner. Drive to get ice and any other essentials and have a good sit down dinner in the process. Scrambled eggs, bacon sausage, salsa & variety of seasonings make up the breakfast burritos for lunch or dinner. Fast and little cleanup. I think I'm going to make these in advance now and re-heat them. Might even try to backpack a burrito.

AM has always been fruit and breakfast bars. Instant breakfast shakes, when possible. In the past the day pack held premade sandwiches the night before but The pouch tuna and chicken makes the sandwich a lot fresher and easily packed. Using large dinner rolls, or sub rolls makes the sandwich hold up a lot better in the pack so that will stay part of the routine.

The first one to tag out means backstrap is on the menu. I usually plan the meal count before leaving but ALWAYS have more than I need. May have to add the Ribeye one night and take more ice to begin with...

Thanks for the ideas and keep them coming.

I'm camped out in 27 at the moment bear hunting made what i call enchilada pie in the dutch oven last night. It's delicious, and simple.

-Brown some burger with onion and garlic and mix a little of the enchilada sauce when the meats close.

-Butter the bottom of your dutch put a flour tortilla down

-Layer of beef, then enchilada sauce, then cheese

-repeat for another layer

-put down last tortilla cover with enchilada sauce cheese and onion.

Put it to the coals for 15 mins and you're good for 2-3 days lots of leftovers for 1 person.

Everything you need-

1 small can of enchilada sauce (red or green)

3 large flour tortillas

Cheese

1lb of ground beef (onion and garlic if you've got it)

quick and simple

Can't believe I missed this thread.

I buy flank steak marinated from Jacob's Carneceria in East Mesa. Let it sit in the marinade for a couple days in the ice chest. Some raw tortillas cook up as fast as carne asada, A little cheese and tapitio is all you need on em. Jacob's is far better tasting and cheaper than any carne asada marinade I ever tried to make or buy. Ive tried countless things, none of it is as good as jacobs. The worst part of it is that we can never tell what is better; his chicken or beef, so we have to get both. It also makes the best steak and eggs for the next few mornings.

Another fave doesnt have a name. We just got what we had together to make a side dish to go with our ribeyes one night some years back. This was gone, and ribeyes were left.

1lb chub deer or elk ground

1 sweet onion

1 can bush's baked beans

3-5 potatoes

1 can cream corn (optional add 1 can whole kernal)

1 can pork n beans

Brown meat while slicing and adding taters and onions. Add all canned stuff, including all the liquid.

It makes kind of a sweet chilli from the bush's baked beans flavor. We make it in a dutch oven. Its real easy and really tasty. When I cook it at home I add some garlic and diced jalepenos and some green chilles. Its hard to mess up.

For my elk hunt in unit 10 this year I plan to start making up a triple batch of my favorite recipies every Sunday six weeks before I go. I will set aside a big tupperware and freeze it. Before the trip I will put all of them in a cooler with frozen water bottles. After walking around all day an eating granola bars I get to sit back and enjoy a beverage while I watch a delux meal heat up in a pot on the stove. Mt. House is good and easy, but I don't think it sticks to your ribs like a good home cooked meal. If you are car camping the extra weight and space does not really matter.

Another thing I have started doing is boiling water at night and putting it in a thermos. Then in the morning you have oatmeal ready to go in 1 minute and can enjoy some hot coffee or tea right away. If you are up by the Grand Canyon in December and will be waking up to temps in the 20's not having to wait for water to heat up is priceless.

I don't have a standard meal, I make up a menu depending on how long I intend to stay out and the number of people in camp and go from there. I have a couple things that make life easier, a 3.5 qt pressure cooker, a Coleman oven that goes on the regular stove and a backpacking oven. That beans and weinies crap is for the Boy Scouts. I do like to cook up a big batch of Bisquik biscuits before I go, these go great with gravy for breakfast and soping up juices in the stews I make. I do like to take a pork backstrap from Costco, cook it on the fire the first night and then use leftovers for sandwiches and whatever other meals I decide the make.

Breakfast: usually some instant oatmeal and a hard boiled egg or two for some protein, banana bread with butter.

Snacks: homemade trail mix. I prefer dried cranberries and mixed raw nuts in about a 1:2 ratio. Most prepacked trailmix has too much sugar for me.

Lunch: Either more trail mix and a hard boiled egg or some type of freeze dried meal so I am able to stay out in the field.

Supper/Dinner: Grilled steaks, burgers, hotdogs. Side dishes of baked beans, fresh cut veggies and dip.

Dessert: Homemade cheesecake, apple pie, brownies, cookies.

This seemed to work pretty good for us (hunterdan, n77ea and myself) while Coue's hunting this year.

PM me if you want to know the logic behind the carb, protein and fat combinations.

here are a couple of my recipes.

A quick, no-brainer chili

1 can Rotel Chili Fixins

1 can black beans

1 can kidney beans

1/2 to 1 lb meat

peppers - I carry dried jalapeno's & chiletipenes

1/2 onion diced

brown the meat, onions, dump in the canned stuff and peppers, simmer a while dumping in a blast of beer as needed for liquid - best is when about a can of beer has been dumped in over a couple hours while lies are being swapped. I usually bake up some Marie Calendar cornbread to go with this.

Or a pork tenderloin, 1 can Rotel Chili Fixin's and 1 can of water, cook under pressure for 20 mins and you have shredded taco/burro meat.

6 quail, 1 to 2 cups rice (depends on how many people), chicken bullion, water and a big blast of orange juice. I've made this one in both the pressure cooker and the Outback Oven, takes longer in the oven.

Years ago on a Javelina hunt outside San Manuel we called for a couple Pizzas to be delivered to the "end of the road". Met the guy, tipped him and had hot pizza around the fire, cold pizza for breakfast. Good times!

We do a lot of the pre-prepped boliling bags as mentioned for easy dinner meals after coming in at dark.

Most days we are out from before sun up until an hour after dark with the travel time back and forth to our hunting areas. A quick bowl of instant oatmeal and a large cup of coffee is usually all we take time for in the morning. Pack food includes sandwiches, bagels, trail mix. dried fruit and always a couple of energy bars like cliffs or Snickers Marathon .

At mid hunt we take a recovery lunch break and usually grill up a large batch of venision from previous hunts, coated with olive oil and seasoned with basic garlic salt and pepper seasoning. Sliced up fajita style and wrapped in grilled flour tortillas served with good salsa makes nice change up . We aways grill up enough to put in the cooler for a couple more days. A quick reheat on the grill and you got good eats again.

As much as I love the chili and bean based burritos ect , I avoid them until I tag out for scent control purposes if ya know what I mean ! :rolleyes: :unsure: