catfish

when did you shoot your first big game animal

I was 10. It was a muley buck, 4 x 3 with eyegaurds. I was plum tickled with it.

I was 10 and took a 2 pointer in 27 with my old man

awesome memory

I was 10. I drew a slick headed elk tag. I was so excited for it. I had just got my braces put on nad my dad brought beef jerky to snack on. I remember soaking my dinner rolls in water so I could eat. It was pretty rough, but I did ok. We got into a large herd of elk and I had shots on probably 6 bulls before I did on a cow. The cows would run through my shooting late, and the bulls would stop for me. We finally got set up in a small meadow and I shot the cow in the picture below. She had 2 bulls folowing her. One was an absolute pig 380+ and the other was probably 350. They wouldnt leave even after I shot. My dad to this day thinks that was one of the largest bulls he has ever seen. I will never forget it. Packing the elk out i said " You know, a box of bullets will kill alot of elk" My dad chuckled. Every time I miss he tells me that a box of bullets wont kill near as many elk as I think, no matter what I'm shooting at.

cropelk.jpg

I am 29, and I just started hunting and drew a deer tag this year. So hopefully my first big game harvest will be at the nice ripe age of 29. :D

• Like 1

I did not hunt till after college. I moved onto a ranch in south Texas, and shot a WT doe first in probably the fall of 1981. I was about 25 then.

Doug~RR

I did not hunt till after college. I moved onto a ranch in south Texas, and shot a WT doe first in probably the fall of 1981. I was about 25 then.

Doug~RR

That is cool Doug....I am only a little slower than you. :lol:

I do wish I caught onto this addiction a lot sooner.

I was 12 in Wisconsin when i got my first WT doe. Dont know who was more excited, me or my dad. I cant wait to see my little ones get their first. Jay

My first was when I was 13. My uncle and I had archery Antelope tags as well as OTC archery deer tags in our pockets for 5B. The Antelope got the best of us after a few days so my uncle and I headed into the trees in search of squirrels and deer! While looking for an arrow that one of us had missed a squirrel with, I looked up and saw a fuzzy antlered 2 point muley walking right at me! I knelt down and when the buck got to about 30 yards I let my first successful arrow fly on a big game animal........that's when the addiction started for me ;)

Pops was hunting in unit 10 with the rest of the family so he wasn't able to be with me, but this was my first success photo....and probably the main reason why I've strived hard to this day to get better success photos!

scan002000.jpg

I was 16 when I shot my first buck in unit 30B. An average 3x3 mule deer. I had walked up over a small rise and a buck and doe were coming up the same rise in the opposite direction when we saw each other at about 40 yards. I don't know who was more surprised, me or that buck. It took me a few years to get that first buck.

I was 14 when I drew my 1st tag, a muzzleloader cow elk tag. Killed a cow on the 2nd day of the hunt. My passion/obsession for hunting went out of control from there!

-Tracy