catfish

when did you shoot your first big game animal

I was 12 in 5b. I have a polaroid from the field and unable to scan, so this will have to do.

post-3406-1249006112_thumb.jpg

I was twelve years old when I shot my first big game animal, a 4x4 mule deer buck. It was outside Prescott near what now is Lynx Canyon Lake and the year was 1948 -- 61 years ago, but who's counting?

Bill Quimby

• Like 1

At 14 I got a Javelina - didn't get my first deer until I was in my 20's. I didn't hunt a lot in my teens - that's why I'm getting my sons started early. Hopefully they'll avoid some of the, er, "questionable situations", that occupied my time back then. Let's just say I thought I was Tommy Lee. :unsure: :lol:

I hunted from age 10 every year, I killed my first deer in 30a, october hunt when I was 14, little forked horn coues, 217 yds with a .243.

I was fourteen. A fat 3x3 mulie. Unit 6a, just north of Strawberry where we lived.

I was 17 and shot a forkie carp with a 300 h&h mag using 200g hollow points... hit him in the right hind quarter and exited out the opposite front left quarter leaving a hole you shoot baskets thru.

butcher was not impressed :unsure: :unsure:

I grew up a trapper, and only a meat hunter when the "opportunity" was needed for the freezer to be filled... Caught my first Raccoon in a leg hold, at age 5 it was no more than a 1/4 mile from my childhood home, which is just up the road from where I live today. ;) Boy was I proud... packed him home in my Pack-Basket all by myself... out of pride! :lol: I still have that coon (mounted) and sitting in my bedroom. I think I was about 11-12 when I shot my first big game.... a cow elk in 6a. It was a meat thing.... don't have pics.... . I don't have many hunting pics till I got serious about more of the trophy hunting after meeting and then marrying my wife at age 19, who at the time was a more accomplished hunter than I was. :blink: She motivated me to step it up! ;) :lol:

I was 16 when I got my Eagle Scout award. My father said he would either take me to magic mountain or deer hunting. I chose deer hunting. We drew unit 1 and I killed my first buck...a little 1 by 2 muley. I shot him right through the shoulder on my first shot and then he was floppin a bit so I shot him again and just like Casey I shot his 2 pt antler off right at the base! Good memories!!

Mike

I was 8. It was a cow elk in unit 16 NM

A lizard with a stick-age 4. Does that count. Felt like a big game animal to me and I have been chasin that lizard ever since.

Thats a good one, I shot a grasshopper with a bb gun when I was about 7! Big game was a pig in 24B when I was 10. Got the day off from school for the last day of the hunt.

i was 16 years old,unit 5b out in my dads truck with my new girlfriend.kicked up a nice 5x5 about 2 miles from the truck.it was right at dusk i shot it & gave chase not knowing any better.i stumbled across the buck about a mile up a powerline.it was getting too dark to see & i had no flashlight or any gear but my rifle & the truck keys.i stayed the night with my prize (in a tee shirt)my girlfriend found the truck & climbed in thru the open back window.i still have the rack from that deer & will be married to that same girl 25 years this month .ed