Sign in to follow this  
ACTS_238

Easy Meals while camping?

Carne con chili verde, spaghetti with meat balls, venison stroganoff, albondigas, foil wrapped quail, you know, basic stuff...lol

• Like 1

+ 1 on the canned soup. Chunky are my favorites. Just pop the lid and set them next to the fire. Potatoes wrapped in tin foil go in the coals easy as well.

I back pack hunt nearly once a year for at least 7 days, sometimes longer. I do exactly like Paul does. I use mountain house 2 serving foods which I eat twice a day. In the morning I heat water for coffee and make enough left over to pour into a 2 serving mountain house. then i roll it up in some extra clothes or a jacket that I don't use to keep from getting hot while walking to my glassing spot. It stays hot for a very long time. Then once you cool down you can put on a nice warm jacket and eat a hot meal while you glass. works great!

GBA

• Like 1

Smoke a pork shoulder prior to your trip. Vacuum seal it and freeze it. Add pork to a decent Japanese ramen or soup and done. Easy meal.

Capture.JPG

• Like 4

We like to do a lot of burro's and freeze them, usually last us 5 days or so. Breakfast and lunch. Usually bacon and egg and potato or something along those lines. For lunch green chilli, meat and beans kind of thing. I always throw in a few packs of tuna snickers bar or 2 and a bag of trail mix. Some other simple stuff we do is canned chicken and chicken flavored ramen " pretty darn good for what it is" PB&J and a lot of precooked meals, spaghetti, Chilli, grab a rotisserie and some peppers and a onion make burro's fairly easy and quick.  Cheese and summer sausage is always good and easy as well. And no matter what you gotta have a steak and burger night or 2 :) 

• Like 1

Have you looked at the stove less method on gohunt.  I was pretty much doing it but his breakfast shake recipe is new.  I head out on a solo 9 day hunt and packed with his list... much better than freeze dried... been there done that.  10 food supply is only 14 pounds plus not waiting 20 minutes to eat.   

spike camp salad.  delicious.  also known as a can of mexican recipe stewed tomatos.

lee

ps  summer sausage and pepperoni sticks don't need refrigeration

On 8/23/2018 at 11:21 PM, trphyhntr said:

Really good meal when hunting eastern AZ is a wineburger from the den 

and don't forget Apache Tailgate in the Bashas' parking lot in whiteriver.  best frybread taco's and tamales in the state.  burritos the size of your forearm.

lee 

• Like 1

On 8/24/2018 at 11:18 AM, dmoto said:

Smoke a pork shoulder prior to your trip. Vacuum seal it and freeze it. Add pork to a decent Japanese ramen or soup and done. Easy meal.

Capture.JPG

We do this for every trip. Anytime I smoke pork butts, I do 4-6 butts to make it worth the time investment and vacum seal the final product, about 2 pounds per bag and freeze. Works great as an ice pack in the cooler and you just throw the bag in a pot of boiling water to heat. No pot to clean and pretty dang close to as good as when you freshly cooked it. Just throw on some buns with BBQ sauce. Easily the most popular meal in camp. 

FB_IMG_1535227244121.jpg

FB_IMG_1535227234579.jpg

20180825_130547.jpg

• Like 6

For breakfast-trader joe single coffee packets (they have coffee, creme and suger already in it), just add boiling water.  Bagel thins with peanut butter and honey smeared on them. 

+1 on the long spoon if you are going the mountain house route, keeps your fingers out of the food.......

Canned soups and chef boy r d.

i remove the label, pop it open, put can in small pot, add water to pot, bring to boil. Keep boiling until food is warm to your liking. I eat out of the can. Use a towel to hold can as it will be hot. Rinse spoon when done. Easy :)