Sign in to follow this  
John O

How often do coues deer drink water?

I am interested in what you all have observed about how frequently coues deer drink. Also how often bucks drink, as opposed to does. I don't have a trail camera, or I might be able to better answer my own question. I know it changes with the seasons, and during the rut, but wanted to know what you all have seen.

Thanks, however I was hoping to get some feedback of what has been observed in the field, or captured on trail cams with respect to drinking habbits. Maybe there isn't a good answer to the question. I have observed several different trends, largely based on elevation, but I don't know if I have seen enough to draw any strong conclusions.

• Like 2

I believe only after their season has closed

and the survivers get together with what they

have stolen from the coolers while the hunters

were out and have a celebration of survival :rolleyes: :P

were out and have a calibration of survival :rolleyes: :P

I knew it!

were out and have a celebration of survival :rolleyes: :P

I knew it!

:P I fixed my typo ;)

I give up. This video does shed some light on the question however.

haha the deer beer run was funny! I would say on average deer drink every 3 to 4 days. Bucks are about the same but tend to hit at night, at least bigger ones do. It really depends on the weather and much more though. I know in the winter when I am hiking I drink maybe half as much water as I do in the summer. I have seen does drink on a daily basis before too so it varies a lot.

For what it is worth.....maybe a penny....

I have sat pretty still, in a ghillie, by a water source with fresh w/in 24 hr tracks, and had crows and quail come in (very wary, sitting outside the immediate area for 10 to 30 minutes before drinking), but no deer. Roadrunners, hawks, but no deer. Very wary, these coues. I love how they humble me. Make me realize I am a still a 21st century man.

Granted, I may smell like tea, or sweat....but I washed the sweat out of my shirts with the help of AZ FG bubbler, and felt 89% sure I was rightously still and blending in...so I +1 the idea that bigger bucks drink at dark.

In any case, sitting by a water hole, or even a large crevice, is a great way to see cows. Yet, Amanda's thought on the "hidden water" is right on. In the Reddington Pass area, near Tucson, are some crevices that hold water year to year, even this year. I see deer always within a 1/4 mile or so of those little sources. However, I can not reliably move that knowledge to other areas.

Alos, if I personally knew the secret of coues and water, I not sure I would post the answer; let the next guy do his/her own research. A book I read focused on the East and said deer drink an @ quart, morning and night. Not much help out here?

I may be wrong, but Deer need water every-day just like most every other large mammal. I've never thought otherwise anyway. But again I may be wrong. Havent ben able to get a trackin Bug on one of those Couesers yet :ph34r: , they're sneeky.

From everything I have ever read Coues water in conjuction with feeding times usually at least twice a day in average to cold temps ... With the most of these times being early am and and in the PM .... But the Studies I have read from have also stated more sightings with mid day watering during warmer than seasonal temperatures .... I have also read unlike Mullies... Coues do depend more on water sources where as mule deer can achieve most their water needs through their browsing on the lands grasses and vegetation ...

Just what I have read and much of what I have seen in the field seems to mesh

• Like 1

From everything I have ever read Coues water in conjuction with feeding times usually at least twice a day in average to cold temps ... With the most of these times being early am and and in the PM .... But the Studies I have read from have also stated more sightings with mid day watering during warmer than seasonal temperatures .... I have also read unlike Mullies... Coues do depend more on water sources where as mule deer can achieve most their water needs through their browsing on the lands grasses and vegetation ...

Just what I have read and much of what I have seen in the field seems to mesh

Interesting you should say that. So I spent a fair amount of time sitting a tank in Aug/Sept, and found that there was no drinking(water) between 5 am and noon, and between 4:30 pm to dark. From noon to 4:30 there were deer coming in consistently about every 40 minutes, and was a consistent mix of coues does, mulie does, and whitetail bucks. The temperatures were near 100 degrees each day. In contrast, I hunt another area where there are 3 cattle drinkers that I can observe as I glass. I found that the whitetail bucks drank at first light, the whitetail does drank later in the morning, and the mule deer drank just before dark. If I might ask, what were the sources you read from. I would be interested in doing some more research on this.

Well if there are any question on whether or not deer drink in the day check this out, and no it is not deer doing a beer run.

Its here in AZ, I was trying to do some research on tactics on You Tube and came across it.

Enjoy.

Alex