couesarcher

What do you wear on your feet for a stalk?

I leave my boots on as well! I have used the felt pcs but they are a pain and I snagged them on stuff. I figured I was better off with one less thing to worry about. I may play with the idea of a homemade version and see if I can make them work, cheap project. ;)

This is a funny topic for me. In 2010 I had a bull tag and was hot and heavy on the ground run and gun as they say on bulls every day. I had a set of bears feet over my boots and needless to say by the 7th day of blown stalks I no longer had much material on the bottoms of them. One evening I finally had the elk figured out but I had to be down in the crunchy pines. I went back to camp, put a spot and stalk plan together and sewed carpet onto the bottoms of my bear feet. next morning I moved in quiet as could be and killed my bull at 15 yards. He never heard me coming. Best part is they have lasted me for 3 times longer than the original material and the traction is superb! I was able to climb over rocks and steep dirt banks. Even in the pine needles I didn’t slip as bad as my boots would. I have finally wore them down to the carpet backing so I will be redoing them the same way. I tried to post a pic with the bull where you can see I have them on but it says the file is too big

GBA

A couple of photos to see how they went on and how they performed. Second pic is from the bulls blood on them.

post-8760-0-55694300-1344876074_thumb.jpg

post-8760-0-55694300-1344876074_thumb.jpg

post-8760-0-48809800-1344876266_thumb.jpg

I know they may add weight, but I use a old pair of sneakers with two layers of carpet foam on the bottom. It kills just about all noise. Used them stalking up on a muley 2 years ago and got to within 10 yards of 2 yotes bedded down during the stalk. It ended well though. I got my first muley with a bow.

• Like 1

I have two things I use. One is similar to the homemade ones above, except that I too use old carpet for the sole. These I can quickly slip over my shoes (wear tennis shoes most of the time, unless wet ground requires Gortex boots). These has shoe laces so I can quickly attach them. They don't take up much room.

I also sometimes use mocassins that have had the sole strengthened by gluing on a layer of heavy felt. I get the felt bottoms that they make to put under your foot in waders. They come already cut to the size of your shoe.

I have walked for hours and miles with both of these without a problem (but usually in the pines moreso than the desert).

I wear oversized socks over my boots. They are hospital socks that have the rubber grip pattern on the bottom so you still have some grip on rocky surfaces. They are quiet cheap.

My son and I went out yesterday for his first ever archery hunt (he's 14). We got setteled in about 8 am and started glassing. It didn't take long before I had spotted a herd of Javelina.

Now came the plan of attack, which way to go to get on them. The wind was great yesterday we used it to our advantage, which kept our noice and scent away for them.

We got to what I thought was a ridge away from the pigs, so I deceided to drop our gear, boots and all uncessary eguipment there, we put on a pair a thick wool socks to try and protect our feet. We marked it with my gps so we could come back later.

What I thought was 1 ridge away turned out to be about 5 ridges away.

We finally relocated the herd and now came the point of moving in on them for a shot. It took about an hour to get in close enough for a shot. Just when you think you can take another couple steps we would spot another pig that we didn't see before. We finally got to within 18 yards on a pig, It was a down hill shot, the pig was quartering away and they had no idea we were there. What a rush.

He drew back and took a couple deep breathes and let it fly. The shot was dead on, but since it was a down hill shot he did not compensate for the angle. The arrow struck about 3 inches high.

Then the fun started, they are scattered like a bunch of cockroaches. He turned to me and said where did they all come from.

We searched high and low but could not find his pig.

We are home today because we cannot hardly walk. Our feet are so sore from walking on all those rocks and thorns that are stcuk in our feet. I figured we walked roughly 1 mile on this stalk.

So I am asking for some input on what you guys wear on your feet for your stalks, whether it's deer, elk or javelina.

I figure by Monday our feet should be ready to continue our hunt.

We had an absolute great time on his first archery hunt, even though we did not fill his tag. The opportunity was there.

Terry

I found Nike 'Special Field' boots to be very quiet, light, flexible and 95% effective in protecting me against most cactus in Az. I can't for the life of me figure out how you and your son went 1 1/2 miles bare-foot in Azona...must have been up North?

I use a pair of Blackhawk Warrior Wear desert ops boots that have been to Iraq for two tours and are softened up perfectly. The seams are starting to separate and the tread on the soles is almost worn down, but they are light, comfy, and quiet enough to get close to any animal... I keep sealing the seams so that they don't completely fall apart on me... I'd guess they have close to 400-500 miles on them over the past 6 years.

Guest oneshot

The socks over-boots does work, but I wanted something alittle more so I made these...

I used an old gray fleese cover for the material, 550 cord for laces and Spiderwire#50 line to sew them up... Prob add some carpet to the soles when they wear-out...

wow! I think I'm gonna try to make a pair of those...

Ive tried all of the above and the best thing I've found is a cheap pair of flip flops with the toe piece pulled off, then stuffed those in a pair of heavy wool socks. light, pack nicely, you can feel the ground under your feet, and cost 98 cents.

• Like 1

I just use all the "booties" the illegals leave lay out in the desert. Or the ones that get thrown away once they are caught. Nice carpet bottoms and cinches to get tight to your boot. Basically very similar to some of the above mentioned.

I wish they still made wallabies, from the 80s they would be awesome..now I'm gonna go online and see if i can find some!!

wuddya know they still do.....wuddya know,they are no longer walmart pricing..139 bucks.....jeezus!

Whipped these up over the summer for my Coues deer hunt. Was a bit excited/had a little to much time on my hands. They worked out great.

20141216_212549.jpg