couesarcher

What do you wear on your feet for a stalk?

My son and I went out yesterday for his first ever archery hunt (he's 14). We got setteled in about 8 am and started glassing. It didn't take long before I had spotted a herd of Javelina.

Now came the plan of attack, which way to go to get on them. The wind was great yesterday we used it to our advantage, which kept our noice and scent away for them.

We got to what I thought was a ridge away from the pigs, so I deceided to drop our gear, boots and all uncessary eguipment there, we put on a pair a thick wool socks to try and protect our feet. We marked it with my gps so we could come back later.

What I thought was 1 ridge away turned out to be about 5 ridges away.

We finally relocated the herd and now came the point of moving in on them for a shot. It took about an hour to get in close enough for a shot. Just when you think you can take another couple steps we would spot another pig that we didn't see before. We finally got to within 18 yards on a pig, It was a down hill shot, the pig was quartering away and they had no idea we were there. What a rush.

He drew back and took a couple deep breathes and let it fly. The shot was dead on, but since it was a down hill shot he did not compensate for the angle. The arrow struck about 3 inches high.

Then the fun started, they are scattered like a bunch of cockroaches. He turned to me and said where did they all come from.

We searched high and low but could not find his pig.

We are home today because we cannot hardly walk. Our feet are so sore from walking on all those rocks and thorns that are stcuk in our feet. I figured we walked roughly 1 mile on this stalk.

So I am asking for some input on what you guys wear on your feet for your stalks, whether it's deer, elk or javelina.

I figure by Monday our feet should be ready to continue our hunt.

We had an absolute great time on his first archery hunt, even though we did not fill his tag. The opportunity was there.

Terry

I have used the felt soles before but they attach with velcro and they dont stow away very easily. A few years ago I picked up a pair of Baers Feet, they are a fleece covering with a drawstring at the top. They fold up and fit in the side pocket of my pack where they are easily accessible when needed, silent to put them on and I have never gotten a cactus or lost a pair of boots since buying these, (yes I did lose a pair of boots once.)

Guest borderboy

I've known several hunters who go shoeless. Personally I'm not tough enough. I take my time and pick my steps as best I can. I try not to roll a rock or break a branch, etc. I think that your approach and attention to the wind was the biggest factor in your getting into range.

I have always used the $20 boots from Wally world. The soles on them are soft enough they make decent stalking boots. Granted they will only last a couple of seasons before the soles are gone. But they do work.

My Danner Pronghorn's and thats it. I don't wear any sneaky feet or felt sole's just step heel to toe quietly and pick your step's.

• Like 3

The felt pads work awesome. They do have velcro on them so you have to make sure to put them on well before you get into stalking distance. That is what I primarily use, however I do have the bearsfeet too. Don't care for them too much. The silencer stuff on the bottom doesnt seem sturdy enough to handle very many stalks. It gets pressed down too easily and loses its effectiveness IMO.

I am getting ready to try some moccassins out. I just got a pair for Christmas with a soft rubber sole. I like them so much I'm gonna have to get another pair cause I am just wearing these around the house too much. They make some with just a leather bottom; some are doubled up on the leather. I think these would be great for stalking and will surely pack away easily enough.

My Danner Pronghorn's and thats it. I don't wear any sneaky feet or felt sole's just step heel to toe quietly and pick your step's.

+1 Danner Pronghorn's are great, I've owned three pair, the minute there on, there broken in

I had your same problem last year. I took off my shoes to stalk the coues I ended up shooting, but felt lucky I didn't have feet full of cactus, as I was in cholla and prickly pair patches during the stalk. So I asked my wife to sew me some "custom" quick removable sneaky feet. Set me back about $8. They have a sole of 4 layers of fleece, and the tabs on the side to lace them to the shoe. Takes about 30 seconds to put them on or take them off. I have used them so much, they are almost worn out. Stalked to 20 yards from a 90 incher last week until the doe he was tending busted me. Much nicer than having to trek back in socks to where you dropped off your boots.

post-1571-1262483758_thumb.jpg

post-1571-1262483769_thumb.jpg

post-1571-1262483782_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

I use the Bear's feet. I've made several great stock's due to the effectiveness of Bear's feet.. I agree, they dont last very long, but I've come to the conclusion that I would rather have to replace them often and be very quiet than be very noisy. They are kind of expensive, but with all the other expensive stuff I have strapped to my back and chest, a $29 dollar pair of Bear's feet doesn't really seem to bad. Especially if it mean's putting an animal on the ground. IMO

P.S. Hammy I love the feet your wife made you. Let me know if she can be convinced into making a couple for me and my friends. Adam

I use carpet laced to my boots similar to Hammy's fleece lasts forever and scrapes are free at construction sites. Got the idea watching a show about illegals using them to hide their foot prints when they walked across the road

I have been bow hunting for about 4 years. In that time I have blown or been busted on countless stalks for whitetail. This year is the first year I wore sneaky feet and it really came in handy. My first whitetail kill on Jan. 19 grossed at 122 1/8 unofficial(pictures to come). So I totally believe in them cuz I couldn't believe how much quiter i was on that stalk.

I am a fan of the Baers feet. I have been using them for several years and had good success. I don't like the fact that they have velcro on the top, so I buy the XLs and cut holes along the top and run a shoestring through them. That way I can slip them easily over my boots and lace them tight.

I have gone barefoot on several stalks, including my javelina this Jan. But in the desert, it is a real "go-at-your-own-risk" situation. Cactus hurt.

The best I have found is to take off my boots, put on two layers of socks, and then the sneaky feet. Maybe overkill, but it is quiet.