Sign in to follow this  
CouesWhitetail

Ever wonder how AGFD conducts surveys for deer?

I Must Say, I have always been critical of AZGFD's Methods of survey, hunt reccomendations, and what they consider to be "healthy herds" and "good buck to doe ratio's". while 5-10 bucks per hundred does may be somewhat adequate to breed nearly all does, this eliminates the survival of the fittest and natural selection of the strongest breeders, which inevitably leads to a weaker, less healthy herd. as well, it reduces the income the state and the busnesses within it make when hunters come to the area to hunt, why? because they DONT COME. they go to Iowa and put of there Arizona Coues hunt for a better year... EVERY YEAR. I have seen this. personally....

Is there a specific reason that we dont follow the lead of states like Iowa and kansas for deer management and reccomendations? why do we not have a rule that you must at least shoot a fork and no spikes like EVEN CALIFORNIA HAS. CALIFORNIA!

Places like Iowa bring in MILLIONS AND MILLIONS of dollers per year due to their fantastic management off deer and other game animals for sport, and healthy herds. why wouldnt we want to do the same for our state? arizona is lucky enough to be the habitat of the coues, which i think is one of the very best big game animals in the country to hunt. there are very few places that have them, and we should be helping the deer AND the hunters AND the economy by managing the herds for HEALTH, QUANTITY IN CONTROLLED AREAS, AND EXPANDING OUR HUNTING HERITAGE.

Now, this all being said, i do not have a degree in wildlife management (although i am looking into it!) and i could be simply classified as a fanatical hunter who enjoys a hunt just as much when i only see a couple does as when i get a chance at a buck. HOWEVER. i have done a lot of research, and this is just the way i feel about things at this point. i am eager to see if there are others on the site that feel the same. I am in no way trying to bag on th AZGFD, they make there recomendations based on research and professional opinion, however, i wonder if the opinions of other professionals and experts could be taken into consideration as well to improve things... any opinions?

Easy. They throw chicken bones on the ground, ask a shaman to decipher them, pay a biologist an exorbitant fee to analyze the data, hold an expensive forum to put on a good front then they take the money from the Feds and do whatever the Feds say needs done.

Wholly worthless group of bureaucrats that are AZGFD.

What did you search for to dig up this thread just to complain... Bad morning?

• Like 1