Bill,

I was sitting with my coffee watching the news on TV this morning and realized my time notes in my last reply were a bit off in one instance.

It was the early 70s when I was doing business with Gilbert while I was working for American Wholesale Hardware, but my visits to the old SCI offices were actually in the early 80s when I was also a sale rep but selling photo equipment to Tucson accounts.

In fact, I believe Sally immediately preceeded your arrival at SCI before she left to edit the AZG&F magazine here in Phoenix.

I had kept in touch with Sally over the years because we were both OWAA members and usually attended the annual conferences. But I haven't been to one in at least 10 years now and after a 35-yr. run, I no longer belong to that organization. The last time I spoke to her, though, was 2003, just prior to my hunt in the RSA. Since she is an RSA native, I called her for any advice she might offer.

RE: Kathy

Although I always wondered how such a relationship could survive very long, I didn't realize there was a divorce involved. For some reason, I just thought Mac's passing ended the relationship.

TJ,

Although my adventures pale in glamor compared to some of Bill's, I have been somewhat fortunate to hunt and fish in some really neat places. While my travels are somewhat curtailed now, I have been lucky to hunt or fish in 40 of the 50 states, 11 Canadian provinces, Mexico, Africa and New Zealand. For the most part, most of the trips were fairly benign as far as real excitement. But on several occasions, I did have those "change your underwear" types of excitement. Three of them involved bush planes. After the third one, I quickly figured out why so many bush pilots die young. :blink:

Bill, I was sitting with my coffee watching the news on TV this morning an realized my time notes in my last reply were a bit off in one instance. It was the early 70s when I was doing business with Gilbert while I was working for American Wholesale Hardware, my visits to the old SCI offices were actually in the early 80s when I was also a sale rep but selling photo equipment to Tucson accounts. In fact, I believe Sally immediately preceeded your arrival at SCI before she left to edit the AZG&F magazine here in Phoenix. I had kept in touch with Sally over the years because we were both OWAA members and usually attended the annual conferences. But I haven't been to one in at least 10 years now and after a 35-yr. run, Ino longer belong to that organization. The last time I spoke to her, though, was 2003, just prior to my hunt in the RSA. Since she is an RSA native, I called her for any advice she might offer. RE: Kathy Although I always wondered how such a relationship could survive very long, I didn't realize there was a divorce involved. For some reason, I just thought Mac's passing ended the relationship.

Tony: No problem with the time notes. Mac left Englewood, California, in 1974 and moved to Tucson so his first wife, Alvie, could be closer to her brothers who lived here. SCI's first office in Tucson was a small space on Alvernon Way. Its next was in the big financial building at 5151 E. Broadway, which is where I suspect you visited Sally and first met him. I did follow Sally in 1983 as editor of Safari magazine, except that my title was "director of publications." I launched Safari Times and Safari Times Africa newspapers and Safari Cub magazine. Although I had been de facto editor of the SCI record books from day one and was responsible for administering its awards programs as they came along, it was a while before I officially was named record book editor. That's because, when the club's board fired Mac, his exit contract called for him to be listed as editor and be paid $150,000 year for the next seven years. Needless to say, my compensation for that particular task was considerably less!

Mac and Kathy divorced a few years after they married, and he lived many years after that. I don't think Kathy really enjoyed hunting, but she hunted around the world with him and killed dozens of animals. Darlene Rogers, Mac's companion for the last eight to nine years of his life, went with us when Mac and I hunted in Zambia in 1994 and was the recipient of his remaining estate when he died in 2002 at age 89. It was rumored that he had spent most of his money by then.

Bill Quimby

ya i would keep it at the big ten . . . just because it is hard/immpossible to get drawn twice for sheep.

i only got 1 of 10 . . .i got a long way to go!!

And what about the big ten archery only . . last i herd there was only 2 people on that list couple years ago

200"mulie:

I don't think there were any bowhunters taking all ten animals early on.

For one thing, bison couldn't be legally hunted with bows in those days. For another, archery gear was limited to cedar arrows and long, straight lemonwood bows without sights in the 1950s. It was a while before recurves came along, and even the early compounds didn't have sights.

I do remember when someone killed a small antelope buck with a long bow on what now is the airstrip at Whiteriver, and hunters across the state were downright impressed! Twenty to thirty yards would have been at the far end of the capability of most archers back then.

Have no idea about recent years, but according to one of Tony's posts on this thread, Mr. and Mrs. Richardson have accomplished it. Given today's archery equipment, I wouldn't be surprised if there were others.

Bill Quimby

200" mulie there has been two archery hunters to accomplish this task, Cindi Richardson and Brian Ham. It is very doable feat. I have been chasing that dream for the last 20 years and I just need a little help from our great creator to draw the buffalo and sheep tag So i can complete mine. or become filthy rich. good luck to all that chase this dream. bill and tony it is such a pleasure to come on here everyday to read your posts you two have a great amount of knowledge and stories together. I can just imagine what a camp fire would be like with you two sitting around it.

this tread along with many others are why I come to CWT.com on a daily bases.

I talk about you all as if I actually met you in person. Funny.

I love this wealth of information and history that can be obtained here...

:ph34r:

this tread along with many others are why I come to CWT.com on a daily bases.

I talk about you all as if I actually met you in person. Funny.

I love this wealth of information and history that can be obtained here...

:ph34r:

+1!

Well said.

Jay

200" mulie there has been two archery hunters to accomplish this task, Cindi Richardson and Brian Ham. It is very doable feat. I have been chasing that dream for the last 20 years and I just need a little help from our great creator to draw the buffalo and sheep tag So i can complete mine. or become filthy rich. good luck to all that chase this dream. bill and tony it is such a pleasure to come on here everyday to read your posts you two have a great amount of knowledge and stories together. I can just imagine what a camp fire would be like with you two sitting around it.

yes i believe thats the two people that were on this video i got couple years ago and all they had to do is get buffalo with there bow.

thx bill and hunter74

Amazing stores it’s as if Im hearing hunting stores from my dad and uncles for the first time thank you guys for the history – stories

Made my day I actually closed my door at the office and put up the busy sign just to read the post

Again thank you

yes i believe thats the two people that were on this video i got couple years ago and all they had to do is get buffalo with there bow.

thx bill and hunter74

Yup. Both Cindi and Brian needed a bison, and each of them killed one on the same hunt, as I had posted in an earlier message in this thread.

And if I recall, Corky is only a sheep away from completing his Big Ten. I think his bison is still listed as the P&Y No. 1, and before he held that spot, his dad, George Richardson, did.

Corky also has this humongous pronghorn to his credit. I took the photos the day he killed it. You can see a repro at the Cabela's in Glendale.

post-82-1271790595.jpg

Tony, that has got to be one of the best photos I've seen of an antelope & hunter. Great job. :)

TJ

Thanks, TJ. These are actually old scans of the original 35mm slides. So they are nowhere near as sharp. Two of the photos eventually became magazine covers.

BTW, both horns measured 21". It's the only buck in the books with both horns that long.

Here's a side view.

post-82-1271792590_thumb.jpg

thx bill and hunter74

Yup. They both Cindi and Brian needed a bison, and each of them killed one on the same hunt, as I had posted in an earlier message in this thread.

And if I recall, Corky is only a sheep away from completing his Big Ten. I think his bison is still listed as the P&Y No. 1, and before he held that spot, his dad, George Richardson did.

Corky also has this humongous pronghorn to his credit. I took the photos the day he killed it. You can see a repro at the Cabela's in Glendale.

post-82-1271790595.jpg

Nice buck, and photo.

Tony,

When I talked to Ted Nugent on the phone Sunday, he made reference to a guy named Corky and I can't remember the last name he said. He was mentioning something about Corky's Coues hunts???

Do you know which Corky he was refering too?

When I talked to Ted Nugent on the phone Sunday, he made reference to a guy named Corky and I can't remember the last name he said. He was mentioning something about Corky's Coues hunts???

As the Nuge would say, YOWZA!

The Corky he referenced was one and the same. In fact. Ted hunted javelina here in AZ with him about 15 years ago. That's probably why he mentioned him because he knows Corky and I have been friends for many years.

As the Nuge would say, YOWZA!

The Corky he referenced was one and the same. In fact. Ted hunted javelina here in AZ with him about 15 years ago. That's probably why he mentioned him because he knows Corky and I have been friends for many years.

That makes sense. Was it that pig hunting jamboree deal that was held over by Safford, I think?