Santana Outdoors

Indian Ruins

Here are some pictures from southern Arizona. they are not the ruins but some pretty cool pictures. In an area there are not sheep anymore and probably have not been in a long time. Also a cool picture of a Coues deer and what looks like a lion chasing a person.

post-2362-1272164221.jpgpost-2362-1272164200.jpg

post-2362-1272164232.jpg

• Like 1

I've been to quite a few ruins around the state, unfortunately my pics were all taken with a 35mm.

Haven't been to those in the Matazals but have hit them by Aztec Peak, Sierra Ancha's, Turkey Creek, Coon Creek, S Fork Cooper's Creek, West Clear Creek, couple different spots along the Verde, Agua Fria, Cherry Creek and several different petroglyph sites. When I am out hunting game goes free for a while if I stumble across an arrowhead.

I don't have any pics, but I do have a cool story (i think so anyways). Last year we were hunting off some left over tags in 30B. A cold storm came across the dragoons and chased all the other hunters out. We were freezing and spotted some large boulder formations about a 1/2 mile away. We hiked to them in order to shelter ourselfs from the storm and warm up a bit. When we got there we found pictrographs and areas were the boulders were carved out. We found a plaque in the rocks that stated that the apache indians used the rocks for defense and shelter and people over 1000 years ago used the rocks for shelter as well. We found it interesting that we excaped there for shelter just like others have done for over 1000 years!

• Like 4

West Clear Creek has numerous ruins, Been to one I repelled to and it was gutted just like the rest. But still awesome to see

i too dont have any pics but ten years ago i hunted unit 21 near bloody basin. there were plenty of rock drawings even had a ringtail clear as day. also topped out over a hill and the whole other side was an enormous village with many rooms im guessing 30 plus lots of pottery and obsidian. kinda put hunting aside for an hour or so to poke around. very neat, very fond memory.

A couple years ago while hunting in Mexico I found 5 or 6 indian metate's on a ridge.

post-25-1286311873_thumb.jpg

post-25-1286311892_thumb.jpg

Wow BP great pic! Those are pretty intricate. I think finding petroglyphs is one of the neatest things about hunting. I'm fascinated with drawings, pottery shards, metates, and arrow heads I've found. Most petroglyphs Ive found are of snakes, or look like snakes to me. This isn't a very good picture but I counted like 17 petroglyhs on this rock. I may have posted this picture before.

IMG_0295.jpg

Couple of Metates I found pig hunting in southern California last Thanksgiving.

huntingandstuff005.jpg