Sign in to follow this  
AzHuntAtty

White Mountains Road Situation

Still can't get to Big Lake. The highest I could go was almost to Pat Knoll. You can go in about 12 miles from the Alpine side. Greens peak is still blocked but you can get to Connero Lake and almost to SawMill Springs. The birds were talking very little in the mornings and would then shut up for the rest of the day.

DM

Just got back today and the road is still blocked at the knoll. We hiked way up into the forest about 9000 ft. and found birds everywhere. The gobblers are hend-up, but were responding to calls and comming in after the hens nested. Sorry, but there are two long beards missing from unit 1. FYI- when we hiked into the higher elevations we found there were lot's of people driving around the barricades.

As of saturday mexican hay road was still closed and you couldnt get to big lake. Comming from the east you could get to about mile marker 13 off the 249 from alpine. Most of the roads off the off the 249 are open with pretty good acess. I spoke to the guy incharge of clearing the roads and he said that most if not all of them would be cleared and opened by this weekend. In 27, the 276 is now open and goes all the way south to the river. The lower you get the better the roads are so if your hunting over there you shouldnt have any issues.

Birds were real weird, gobbleing like crazy in the tree but shutting up as soon as the hit the ground. The only gobbler i had gobble on the ground mad his last gobble at about 20 yards. Opening morning bird for me. Good luck...........

As of saturday mexican hay road was still closed and you couldnt get to big lake. Comming from the east you could get to about mile marker 13 off the 249 from alpine. Most of the roads off the off the 249 are open with pretty good acess. I spoke to the guy incharge of clearing the roads and he said that most if not all of them would be cleared and opened by this weekend. In 27, the 276 is now open and goes all the way south to the river. The lower you get the better the roads are so if your hunting over there you shouldnt have any issues.

Birds were real weird, gobbleing like crazy in the tree but shutting up as soon as the hit the ground. The only gobbler i had gobble on the ground mad his last gobble at about 20 yards. Opening morning bird for me. Good luck...........

Hope you saved one for me. I can't get up until Monday.

Bill Quimby

Hope you saved one for me. I can't get up until Monday.

Bill Quimby

O they are there. I would say they really werent hot yet so you should be good then. We went 3 for 6 with the jrs going 3 for 3 the week before so i would say it was a good 2 weeks.

I spoke to the guy incharge of clearing the roads and he said that most if not all of them would be cleared and opened by this weekend.

Were you talking to a state roadsor Forest Service guy?

Thanks for the info- We are fishing up there this weekend and hope to hit Big lake if it it opens up this week.

I spoke to the guy incharge of clearing the roads and he said that most if not all of them would be cleared and opened by this weekend.

Were you talking to a state roadsor Forest Service guy?

Thanks for the info- We are fishing up there this weekend and hope to hit Big lake if it it opens up this week.

I believe the guy is contracted out of alpine to grade the roads etc. The difference in the roads just in the 2 days i was there was night and day so i would bet there open by now. Good luck fishing and good luck to anyone hunting up there the remainder of the season.