Sign in to follow this  
COOSEFAN

Turkey for Pops...

Howdy all, I'm back from huntin' Turkeys with Pops! Pops had the tag and I went up early to try and locate some birds. The wind was terrible, the snow started falling and to make it all worse, the Turkeys were non-existent! Pops showed up on Thurs. and soon realized for himself it was gonna be a tough hunt. We hunted hard on Friday morning with no sign or sound of Turkeys and changed tactics. Pops and I headed lower and found where some Turkeys had been feeding and even worked in to 130 yards of a big struttin' gobbler but had no luck calling him in. Saturday morning dawned clear and calm and as we later learned it would be our only time without high winds or snow during the whole trip! Pops and I made the most of it, we headed back to where we saw that big gobbler. After hiking in to the spot Pops decided we should set up and try calling. We had yet to hear a gobble from this spot but it was our best chance. Right after some short yelps a gobble sounded off about 200 yards above us! I took off to get away from Pops but in line with the Tom and Pops and I both started calling. The Tom stayed higher and moved back and forth but after about 30 minutes we finally had 2 Jakes coming in! The Jakes stopped 10 yards in front of Pop's gun and started milling around and puttin'. Both Jakes were bearded and legal and I give dad tons of credit for not poundin' one of them! He was determined to take a true gobbler in true turkey hunting fashion! I kept up with some subtle yelps and purrs to keep the Jake's attention on me and finally the gobbler that was still up high had enough! He didn't like the fact the Jake's had a hen and finally here he came! He was in full strut and gobbling as he made his way down the hill for about 80 yards. He made it to the Jakes which were still on top of dad and began struttin' around and gobbling! From where I sat I could only see the top of his fan as he strutted around but knew any second Pops was gonna "boom-flop" em'! Finally, just as he stuck his neck out from behind a tree to gobble...BOOM! Pops didn't even let him finish his gobble as he pounded em', putting him down hard and fast! I jumped up, with all the calls i had placed on my lap flying everywhere and ran over to Pops! You could tell that it was indeed a special moment for him and it definitely was for me, it was a long time coming for Pops to take his first ever Turkey and it couldn't have happened more perfect! Although antlered critters have always been his focus, he's hunted Turkeys his whole life and has taught me all I know about em'. He's been with me when I've taken birds but he's never been able to wrap a tag on a Turkey for himself....until now!

That evening was extremely windy again and we woke up to heavy snow falling the next morning, so Pops and I were lucky we got it done when we did. Congrats again Pops, you deserved that experience more than most will know and i'm glad I got to share it with ya! JIM>

DadTurkey0118x11.jpg

DadsTurkey005.jpg

WHAT UNIT WAS THAT?

I WAS UP IN UNIT 1 SAW A BIT OF TRACK EVERYWHERE WE WENT BUT NOT A LOT OF IT, WE WENT LOWER AND FOUND TONS OF CRAP BUT NOTHING FRESH. LONG STORY SHORT WE DIDNT HEAR A GOBBLE TILL LATE SATURDAY. AND SUNDAY WAS DUMPING SNOW ALL OVER. HE GOBBLED MAYBE THREE TIMES BUT HAD 7 HENS AROUND HIM SO THEY KEPT MOVING AWAY. THEY WERENT TALKING AT ALL BUT MOVING A LOT WE CALLED IN COUPLE HENS FRIDAY MOURNING AS WELL AS MID MOURNING SUNDAY I GUESS WITH BAD WEATHER THEY DON'T TALK AS MUCH . . . . SO ILL BE UP THERE THIS WEEKEND!! BIG LAKE WAS UNACCESABLE AND MY FAVORITE TURKEY SPOT SO THIS WEEKEND IS GOING TO BE GREAT

Jim, you sure have a way of telling a story that makes one feel like he's actually there along side ya. That had to be a great feeling for the both of you on that hunt. I especially like the way you took the picture with the sun shining through the back of the tail feathers. I hope I can remember that on my next one. Thanks for sharing and a big congratulations to Pops. :)

TJ

Congrats to your pops, my pop is out turkey hunting now with his pops, the odds are against my pops as well, lets hope he can pull a turkey out! Nice pics jim

Congratulations to your dad! The write up was exciting to read, wish I could have called one in for my daughter.......

Great job!! I love the pics too, great way to show the beauty of a spring tom!!

thats a gorgeous bird Jim. nice tail fan and great pic. thanks for sharing.