Sign in to follow this  
codyhuntsaz

Unit 27 Turkey

I will be going up to 27 on the 15th for a turkey hunt. the guy i put in with backed out on me and i have no idea what im doing to be honest. he clammed up and wont give me any spots to try out now that hes not going. ive never even hunted turkey before, but i hate to burn the tag. any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Cody

supposedly there are turkey all over unit 1 and 27. 1.) Will the turkey still be gobbling? (possibly you never know). 2.) bring a gps just in case you can get lost. 3.) Weather can play a big role in spring hunting.

4.) I might be up there but in unit 1, could meet you in alpine if i don't get my bird this weekend.

there is a lot of country back there, i would drive some logging roads. or possibly find some chain meadows they like to be in the meadows in the early mourning and right before they roost.

good luck,

Andrew aka 200"mulie

I had the early muzz bull tag in 27 last year.. I saw turkeys everywhere I went in 27, both on all scouting trips and on the hunt. I saw a ton of them off of Red Hills rd off to the east back towards the blue.

Also saw a mess of them off of middle mtn road back to the west.

Good luck.

The first season last year I seen turkey all over but we could not get any to come in. I forgot to put in this year. try the 483, 405 rd. saw alot of turkey there.

Stay up on the rim it will be alot cooler and easier to drive the roads or sit on some water. I just put in for spring turkey for 2011 since I missed it last year.

ya stay up north.. i've seen turkey all over up there in meadows, on logging roads, driving down 191, turkeys travel all day to avoid predators. in the fall it is really hard to hunt these critters cause they don't make a noise, they see color, and every burnt stump looks like a turkey,

my tactic would be find a chain meadows or a meadow that you have seen turkey before. set up along the meadow before first light . . and hopefully they come down and within range. during the day i would drive some back roads since turkey travel all day . . .chances are you'll see one the more you drive. and then for evening hunt try spotting them in meadows if there is none in the meadow your looking in go to the next.