Poppa Cap

Magazines or books to read

I was sitting here thumbing through my stacks of well read books and magazines, and I gotta find something new. What hunting magazines do you consider must read material? OR anything not worth buying?

Trophy Hunter, Eastman's and Christensen's Hunting Illustrated usually cover my nightstand .Three must read books (IMO) are Life at Full Draw by Chuck Adams, Hunting the Hard Way by Howard Hill and Fred Bear's Field Notes....

Don't forget Western Hunter Magazine! (The only publication that sponsors this site!!)

Here's a couple other book ideas:

1. C.J. Box authors a series of mystery fiction novels revolving around a Wyoming Game Warden. Sometimes he portrays the Game Warden as a bit of a buffoon, but the books are very entertaining and all in all, hunting is represented in a good light. Plus, the storylines always have to do with outdoor-related issues. I think there are 9-10 books in the series that starts with Open Season. Check out www.cjbox.net or just head down to Barnes & Noble.

2. Unintended Consequences by John Ross. It is not a hunting book, but a great fictional history about gun rights and gun ownership in the U.S. It is one of my favorite all-time books, even if it is REALLY LONG. Check out www.john-ross.net. (You might have to find a used copy...)

• Like 2

I just got done reading Bill Quimby's book " Sixty Years A Hunter". He is a regular on this site and I highly recommend it. I ordered my copy direct from him and had him sign it for me. The wife and I are going to have lunch with Bill next Friday and we are very excited to finally meet him. It is a must read. Great book! :)

TJ

• Like 1

One of my favorite books is The Arizona Desert King and I by Jim Babala! It is a book about Jack Walters who is a legendary sheep hunter from Arizona. It is an awesome book about sheep hunting here in Arizona, and also Mexico and Canada. Another great sheep book is Kofa Kings by Tom Saad. It is about the history of sheep hunting in the Kofas. Both are awesome!

+ 1 on Western Hunter Magazine! Not only a sponsor of this site, but also an Excellent Magazine!

I just got the latest copy the other day and I always love reading it. Chris and his crew do an outstanding job on having some great hunt stories and photos, some excellent hunting advice, and great info about hunting gear.

Western Hunter Magazine

And I just finished reading forum member Bill Quimby's book Sixty Years A Hunter. I highly recommend it.

Oh and don't forget there is a subforum here for Hunting Related Books. It's a great place to find something good to read.

http://forums.coueswhitetail.com/forums/in...hp?showforum=26

anything by pat mcmanus. if ya like fiction, try bill quimby's stuff :lol: . he's sposeta be comin' out with a new one on the eastern whitetail too. Lark.

Thanks! I forgot about Western Hunter, and will check out Quimby's book too. Thanks for the heads up on the book forum. I thought I looked for it, but I overlooked it. Thanks again.

Thanks! I forgot about Western Hunter, and will check out Quimby's book too. Thanks for the heads up on the book forum. I thought I looked for it, but I overlooked it. Thanks again.

If you want my book and would like to have it autographed, PM me. I have a couple of copies here at the cabin.

Also, if you'd like to read about hunting in Africa, I suggest you start with J.A. Hunter's bookls, as well as Use Enough Gun by Robert Ruark. There are lots more, but these will get you going.

Bill Quimby

anything by pat mcmanus. if ya like fiction, try bill quimby's stuff :lol: . he's sposeta be comin' out with a new one on the eastern whitetail too. Lark.

Hey Lark:

I thought we fought this thing out to a conclusion many months back. You should know by now that the "eastern whitetail" is a mythical beast. There are 40 whitetail subspecies on this planet and not one of them carries that scientific or common name.

Bill Quimby :)

Bill, is there any chance any varmint hunts with Bruce Tucker made it into the book? Bruce and his family have lived across the street from my parents for about 15 years now. I will be ordering your book and look forward to reading it.