Poppa Cap

Magazines or books to read

While searching some AZ mine history, I came upon the best resource ever for history buffs.

http::/southwest.library.arizona.edu/hav4/index.html

The volumes contain letters, newspaper and diaries of the early miners, settlers and military men in territorial AZ.

The first hand accounts of life and death in the territory are spellbinding. And yes there are many accounts of hunting in early AZ.

This one is not exclusively about hunting, but I can't put it down. Arctic Homestead ---> http://bit.ly/1wLIC4w . It'll make you want to grab your rifle and bow and head up to Alaska to start homesteading. This family leads an incredible life and some of the true stories in there seem like they come straight out of Hollywood.

Jack O'Connor 'the hunting rifle'

Slim Ellison 'cowboys under the mogollon rim' and 'more tales'

david brown 'tough times in rough places' and 'the grizzly in the southwest'

James Jennings 'the freight rolled' and 'Arizona was the west'

stella and mack hughes 'hashknife cowboy' and 'chuckwagon cookin''

lee

Working my way through Bill's 60 Year a Hunter and loving it. My grand-pa was the only one in my family for the two generations before me who hunted and he died long before I was born so I never got to sit on his knee and hear his stories. He drove from the middle of Kansas to Colorado to hunt elk to feed the family every year back in the depression so you know there were some good ones. Reading Bill's book is a great replacement for not having a living hunting heritage in my family.

Thanks Bill

"On the Border with Crook" by John G. Bourke is a great read about the Apache wars in AZ.

"Vanished Arizona" by Marth Summerhays puts a women's perspective on early AZ and is a great companion to "On the Border with Crook."

I can't say enough about the Bob Swager books by Stephen Hunter for fiction.

My recommended reads include:

Magazine = Western Hunter (I get both the elk and western hunter)

Book = A Little War of Our Own (the AZ version of the Hatfield's and McCoy's)

"Working my way through Bill's 60 Year a Hunter and loving it. My grand-pa was the only one in my family for the two generations before me who hunted and he died long before I was born so I never got to sit on his knee and hear his stories. He drove from the middle of Kansas to Colorado to hunt elk to feed the family every year back in the depression so you know there were some good ones. Reading Bill's book is a great replacement for not having a living hunting heritage in my family. Thanks Bill."

..................Thank YOU, Marc! I greatly appreciate your comments...............Bill Quimby

I agree with creed_az_88. Just started it but it is a page burner. It is a little depressing to see all the money and time spent regulating a plant, but the adventure is real and well presented. If it wasn't true, this could be a novel.