Coach

Long range, starting from scatch

1 and 3- No offence Remmy guys, but Savages are superior in this day and age

Can't disagree with that.

If youre looking to do long range shooting as a hobby or as sport then fixed turrets is not the way to go, there is too many variations that go into shooting those ranges. Elevation and Temp is just some of the basic changes that happen all the time.

Fix turret are a great idea if your hunting the same place (elevations within 1000 FT) and the temp is somewhat the same (with in 15 degrees). And also someone did mention that you can buy multiple fix Turrets and spend I think 90 dollars each not a bad idea.

I dont like Fix Turrets personally but for hunting it may not be a bad idea.

"If you’re looking to do long range shooting as a hobby or as sport then fixed turrets is not the way to go, there is too many variations that go into shooting those ranges. Elevation and Temp is just some of the basic changes that happen all the time.

Fix turret are a great idea if your hunting the same place (elevations within 1000 FT) and the temp is somewhat the same (with in 15 degrees). "

Big + 1

I tell people this all the time, and they just dont get it. They want easy. They dont understand balistics. There are way to many Var. I have seen people buy them for their hunting elevation, and come out to practice, and wonder why they are off. I run the Balistics, and they are right on with the Bal. Com. I think the biggest problem is that people want to just buy a piece of equipment and become longrange shooters/hunters. It takes lots of practice, dedication, and studying. You will never stop learning even after many years of shooting.

• Like 2

1 and 3- No offence Remmy guys, but Savages are superior in this day and age

Can't disagree with that.

some savages are not baD. i shoot against savages all the time with my REMINGTON 700. i enjoy it. Grin.

+1 some savages are not baD. i shoot against savages all the time with my REMINGTON 700. i enjoy it. Grin.

Big grin here as well. ;)

after you replace the barrel, get the action re-machined, get a new trigger, bed the action and replace the stock Remingtons are pretty good.

• Like 1

after you pay to have a smith replace the barrel, get the action re-machined, get a new trigger, bed the action and replace the stock Remingtons are pretty good.

fixed :P

kreiger barrel +300 , thread and chamber +150. sell original barrel -150. adjust trigger myself. leave factory stock. leave action as is. my gunsmith does not do anything to the action. why would he? mine shoot real good that way. wanna shoot come out to rio on sat march 19th?? bring some money. the 300$ for me is a time and component($$) saving investment. i live 136 miles from ben avery. everything shoots good. load shoot.

kreiger barrel +300 , thread and chamber +150. sell original barrel -150. adjust trigger myself. leave factory stock. leave action as is. my gunsmith does not do anything to the action. why would he? mine shoot real good that way. wanna shoot come out to rio on sat march 19th?? bring some money. the 300$ for me is a time and component($$) saving investment. i live 136 miles from ben avery. everything shoots good. load shoot.

I have a friend with a factory Sendero in 300 RUM that shoots lights out no doubt about it. Most will say that when threading on a custom barrel you should true the action. Why wouldn't you? It might shoot even better unless you're already shooting .250" or better... Best I've got out of the 22 1/2" sporter barreled factory Rem 700 '06 I currently shoot is .33 MOA. I'd like to get it all trued up when I get a barrel installed. Savages don't necessarily "need" the action truing due to the floating bolt head. It is still a good idea though.

I need to get to Ben Avery. I've never shot there. Maybe one day we can meet up there. We should do a coueswhitetail shoot one of these days as a lot of guys are around the area.

One of the areas that the Remmys are better is in the 338 Lapua arena. The Savage weighs 15+lbs without scope! But, the Remington Model 700P police edition is a perfect cost effective entry into the 338 Lapua cartridge. I plan to buy one if the wife ever loosens her death grip on the finances! ;) (I definitely won't be bringing any money for you to take at Ben Avery!!!)

Good- i bought a near new 25-06 sendero stainless fluted maybe 5 years ago. took the barrel off. had my smith put a fluted krieger. took the rem trigger and sold it for 40. bought a shilen for 79. installed it myself. not easy like a jewel or timney. my 300 sendero is factory excecpt the trigger . jewel. i actually like the shilen better except the installation. the senedero/hs stock is not as good as a Mcmilan A-2,3,4,5. it is a solid stock . considering the number of coues shooters in the east valley i would think more shoot at the rio salado matches.

Good- i bought a near new 25-06 sendero stainless fluted maybe 5 years ago. took the barrel off. had my smith put a fluted krieger. took the rem trigger and sold it for 40. bought a shilen for 79. installed it myself. not easy like a jewel or timney. my 300 sendero is factory excecpt the trigger . jewel. i actually like the shilen better except the installation. the senedero/hs stock is not as good as a Mcmilan A-2,3,4,5. it is a solid stock . considering the number of coues shooters in the east valley i would think more shoot at the rio salado matches.

I will look into the rio salado shoots. I think these competitions will help in the long range game. And, that's interesting about the triggers. I'm getting ready to install one on the Savage. Probably the Sharp Shooter's Supply Competition trigger. 12oz to 2lbs.

considering the number of coues shooters in the east valley i would think more shoot at the rio salado matches.

I lived a few miles from Rio Salado for 20 years. I still live 15 minutes from ther. I refuse to go there anymore. I haul my long range rig with me most of the time I'm out and practice in the hills at various distances, never the same. I can shoot alright most of the time. I will always need practice finding a spot to shoot from in the hills, ranging, calculating drop, and doping my wind. If there was a get together in the woods for a longrange shoot, I would probably do that.

We should put together a long range shoot off for CWT members. It would be fun and intresting to see all the rigs people are using and thier shot groups.

I finally got my rifle back from Hart. I went out the other day and got a 1/2 group at 300 yards, but i did have one flyer wich made my 4 shot group a 2 1/2 inch group at 300 yards which is still ok

My rifle is a Rem action and I started from scatch.

New 300 stainless Rum Rifle.................515.00 Shipped to me

26" barrel----------------------------------------------Sent to Hart

Spiral Flute #5 barrel

Coyote tan teflon coat

Sako extractor

Bead blasiting

Vais brake w/ option cap and wrench

Oversized Recoil Lug

bed action and aluminum pillars...........1,450.00 shipped back to me and 10 months later

Jewell triger..........................................205.00 shipped

Speedlock firing pin and spring.................65.00 shipped

Seekins Rings......................................110.00 shipped

Night force 20moa base..........................110.00 shipped

Zeiss 6.5-20X50 conquest......................689.00 shipped

Paint from space age (just supplies).........60.00

Hitech Stock Sheep hunter.....................240.00 shipped

New nosler brass 100 pcs.......................110.00

9.45 lbs

Everything was new, still need to buy 3500 and 7000 elvation turrets.

210 berger @ 3202 avg w/ 90 grn of retumbo. 215M primers

Pics to come soon

This is a great idea. I shoot the midrange matches at Rio regularly and it's a good time. We'd have to talk to the Midrange match director Mike Tolliver to work something out regarding a special shoot for CWT members.

The regular course of fire for a typical F-Class match is 3 rounds of 20 shots for record with either 2 sighter shots or unlimited (this varies from match to match). For CWT shooters the importance should be more in line with the first shot counts deal as opposed to an 60 shot aggregate. Shooting fewer shots would also allow shooters with sporter class rifles with lighter contour barrels to be competitive. I will be shooting in a match this weekend and can ask Mike if/how we would go about setting this up if there is enough interest.

I have a Remington 700 Sendero 25-06 bone stock to shoot with you Savage guys. I also have a Remington 700 with a 30" Krieger barrel chambered in 338 Edge to shoot as well, it shoots a little better than the 25-06 :).

Vowell:

I created a computer program a while ago to create a PDF file that I can print on labels and apply to my stock turret on my scopes. Some day I want to make a web site that users can load there ballistics data into and create PDF files. I posted about them a while ago when I was first testing them out and they work really well. Here's a link for more detail: http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/elevation-dial-label-testers-needed-51417/ I could run a few for you at different elevations if you're interested.

Scott

We should put together a long range shoot off for CWT members. It would be fun and intresting to see all the rigs people are using and thier shot groups.

Everything was new, still need to buy 3500 and 7000 elvation turrets.

210 berger @ 3202 avg w/ 90 grn of retumbo. 215M primers

Pics to come soon