Stray Horse

Tell us about your elk rifle, and cartridge?

Ruger m77 30-06 stainless steel with leupold vx2 3x9 scope and federal premium 180 gr nosler partition. Thinking about getting a 300 win mag.

A Ruger MK II, SS .338 with a Leo 2.5X8 B&C, barrel cut to 22", dropped into a Rimrock stock.

Handloads with a 225 Hornady, or factory Federal 210 Partitions.

I'm looking at a muzzleloader to round out the stable, probably going to go with a TC Omega "Dream Season", with some BH 209 and Barns T-EZs.

• Like 1

Winchester mod. 70 300 wsm. Never got to use it for Elk. Gonna have to use the old PSE thunderbolt 65# 29" draw again. Maybe I'll get it done this year.

Remington 700 300 ultra mag HS thumb hole stock kdf break timiny trigger lock jaw rifle rail Night Force 5.5-22x56 210 Berger VLD good for 1200yrds

That's a BA rifle speedy.

Remington 700 Sendero .338 RUM. Glass bedded with a Shrewd muzzle brake. (Waiting on a Nightforce Scope.) :unsure:

Very nice gun. I was admiring it while I was shooting next to you up at Rio Salado a couple of Saturdays ago. I was the guy with the crutch.

Remington 700 in 300 WM shooting 168 TTSX. But, having said that, I'll prolly never get a rifle elk tag... I took my 2010 bull with my old Jennings bow.

Wish I had a photo of it....It is gone now, living in the happy hunting grounds.

It was a Sporterized German 98 Mauser custom built by my Grand Father when he was in his early 20's. He did this as a side job when he was young and made some real nice rifles. The one he made for himself and then gave to me was chambered in 30-06 and had a 4x weaver scope on top. I got my first and only cow elk with it.

Remington 700 Sendero .338 RUM. Glass bedded with a Shrewd muzzle brake. (Waiting on a Nightforce Scope.) :unsure:

Very nice gun. I was admiring it while I was shooting next to you up at Rio Salado a couple of Saturdays ago. I was the guy with the crutch.

Ha Ha, good to see you on here. Yeah sorry about the noise. I was there putting 3 boxes of factory loads through the rifle simply to harvest and fire form the brass. Come to find out its quite a chore to do that on a .338 RUM. It sure was ringing under that tin roof a bit.

Hope the leg is healing well.

Speedy.

Since I have a elk tag for the first time, I guess I can now say I have an Elk gun or two...Here's what will be in my camp this year...

300 WSM shooting 168 TTSX @ around 2950ft/sec

post-1361-0-21149700-1365542265.jpg

and .264 Win Mag - yet to settle on an elk load but thinking either Nosler Partition or Scirocco II. Scirocco is shooting a bit over 3100ft/sec and just about half MOA @ 100yrds and under MOA at 300 yrds

post-1361-0-53542100-1365541787_thumb.jpg

Sporterized custom 1943 Izhevsk round receiver Mosin Nagant 91/30... Yep. The ancient but still awesome 7.62x54R. Started out as a $80 milsurp junker. Pillar and glass bedded on an ATI Monte Carlo Stock, Scout Scoped, cleaned thoroughly, cut and crowned 23" barrel, pushing 180gr .311 SP's at around 2650fps. Shoots just barely over MOA. No elk tag, but I'm putting in for some Coues hunts this fall. I feel pretty good and confident out to 300 yards.