TREESTANDMAN

SAKO 85 FINNLIGHT .270 WSM

I guess Remington has such a good reputation that it doesn't need to advertise a guaranteed 5 shot MOA under 1".

Never worked with or owned a remmy that would not shoot lights out right out of the box. You can get a lemon in any brand. Their quality and workmanship has suffered a bit over the last few years but the rifles continue to shoot darn well.

For factory rifles, I am a remington man through and through. Sako is not bad and they would be great if there was a better scope mounting platform. However, for a small nominal fee, a good smith can make a rail and modify the action for attachment.

Mike, Great choice in cal. I hate to disagree with anyone who might know everything, but........ My experience with the 270 wsm is just short of amazing. Mine (a Savage) shoots cheap factory bullets great, and my pet reload (140 Nos accubond at 3250 fps with IMR 4350) is as consistantly accurate as any rifle I own. as far as reloading goes it did not seem to be any more or less finicky than the 300 wsm or 300 win that I reload.

At any rate, enjoy your new rifle.

Whitey

I also agree on the caliber. Last year i bought a 264 Win Mag looking for long range performance without a lot of recoil. It's ok but I should have bought the 270WSM. The BC on the 140gr and 150gr for the 270 is really good and with RL17 you can get some great velocities. I have a 300WSM and the RL17 is amazing for the short mags.

I have both a Sako and Tikka. My Tikka T3 is also chambered in 270 WSM, it is by far the lightest hunting rifle I own and very accurate with a Burris 4x14 on top. I have never had much problem inside 600yds with factory ammo, past that I have not been impressed. I will admit that I am only an average shot and certainly no sniper but I punch paper pretty well out to 700-800yds with reasonable accuracy. I fired a Sako a few months ago and had to have one! I new right away that I was weilding what I like to refer to as the Hand of God. I know we are not comparing apples to apples here but I recently purchased my first Sako and it is without any doubt the most accurate rifle I have ever fired. I bought the TRG-42 in .338 LM. This is a much more Tactical setup. It is topped with a Schmidt and Bender 12x50x56 (yes it is for long, long range but I regret going with a 12x rather than a 5x ) I have many rifles in varied Calibers and for me the quality of the Sako is the most impressive period. This rifle will make anyone a top shooter. If it is accuracy you seek you will be hard pressed to find an out of the box equal (for the money) than a SAKO. As far as price goes the Tikka is very competitive, and it is a top performer for the money. I would not dare talk down on any rifle maker as I have most brands and calibers at my disposal and usually opt for my Savage in 7MM or Tikka 270 WSM over much higher priced "Custom" rifles in my safe. Remington, Ruger, Marlin they all make fine rifles. I would save the money on a reasonably priced rifle and put it towards the absolute best optic you can afford. Just my .02 cents