stalkincoues

Where did all of the Turkey go above Payson?

Have seen and have been getting game cam pics of a few groups of birds religiously the last few seasons in a certain spot up there. Good groups and good birds. Seen them up through January this year. Since then I have only gotten two game cam pics and was only 1 bird each time, and have only seen 1 bird 1 time a few weeks ago. I was wondering if maybe they got snowed out or froze out and died, migrated? I just don't know where they vanished to. What are your thoughts? I sure hope they didn't die off but I know we had a ton of snow this year and I know it happens. Have been looking forward to this fall archery all year but am very worried now without any sightings of the groups since January. :(

I wa thinking the same thing. In years past I have hunted turkey in that area. Normal evey mud puddle and tank had tracks. I was camping last weekend I checked for track every where. I seen none. After a while of casual looking I made it a mission to find some and still nothing. Although last sat morning at before sun up I started a coyote pup distress call and I heard some wing beats.

Have seen and have been getting game cam pics of a few groups of birds religiously the last few seasons in a certain spot up there. Good groups and good birds. Seen them up through January this year. Since then I have only gotten two game cam pics and was only 1 bird each time, and have only seen 1 bird 1 time a few weeks ago. I just don't know I was wondering if maybe they got snowed out or froze out and died, migrated? where they vanished to. What are your thoughts? I sure hope they didn't die off but I know we had a ton of snow this year and I know it happens. Have been looking forward to this fall archery all year but am very worried now without any sightings of the groups since January. :(

I was thinking the same thing until I saw my trail cams. The extra snow had me worried but the turkeys came thru with flying colors. I talked with the game wardens and they also had the same concerns but the turkeys are doing just fine. Believe me,I've seen alot over the last couple days to tell me it's going to be a banner year. :)

TJ

I've been over in Unit 8 a bunch the last 3 weeks.... Turkey population definitely down! I've only seen a handful where normally that unit has a bunch of birds! :(

:(

I was thinking the same thing until I saw my trail cams. The extra snow had me worried but the turkeys came thru with flying colors. I talked with the game wardens and they also had the same concerns but the turkeys are doing just fine. Believe me,I've seen alot over the last couple days to tell me it's going to be a banner year. :)

TJ

Well that cetainly is not my case. For the last 8 weeks I have checked my trails cams 6 times. Only 2 birds total and 1 bird each time (total 2 of 8 game cam sightings). Only 1 sighting of just the 1 bird in the same area, same time so I assume maybe same bird.

After January, virtually nothing

Have been up there last three weekends in a row and no sightings nor trail cam pics........

As far as a banner year lucky dog.... Please send me your coordinates and I will be happy to verify your findings first hand :lol: right after I tag my Whitetail.

I was getting plenty of these before the heavy snow.....

post-2205-1281937283_thumb.jpg

post-2205-1281937338_thumb.jpg

post-2205-1281937377_thumb.jpg

I also have checked the area pretty well with no sign of turkey while out on our deer hunt my father in law saw a nice group of toms, long beards thats it we think the really cold winter hit them hard but its hard to say cause we see them all the time I think it gonna be a tough hunt this season

There are still a lot of turkeys around here....I know one of them drives a big red Ford....bwaahahahahaha!!!!! :D :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: Me too, and he says he's eatin' all the other turkeys up there! :lol:

I too was thinking the winter took out a bunch of birds. Last spring on my dad's hunt in 7w I was shocked at the lack of birds in my usual areas, no tracks, no sign of use on traditional roost sites, etc.. We moved long distances that we normally don't have to do in order to find birds. Maybe the birds are doing the same thing as the elk, there is feed everywhere so maybe they are just scattered and utilizing country they normally aren't in? Just my thoughts, JIM>

I'm not a bird man at all, but in July while bear hunting I came across four groups of about 5-10 birds near Horton Creek and three groups near Dick Williams Creek. Almost all of them had little ones with them too.