Sign in to follow this  
bstpeter

Gett'n em out

Find the nearest tree if possible hang it and if not on the ground. Remove the jump suit from critter and commence removing all meat possible , game bag it- load in pack w horns , leave the bones and what not- coyotes gotta eat too!

One thing I learned the hard way is the importance of wearing a pair of knife resistant gloves when slicing and dicing. Let's face it, when the sun is setting and everyone is in a hurry to get back to camp, and you have a couple of sharp knives working in close quarters.....accidents happen.

You can buy these pretty much anywhere, and there're not expensive.

After what happened to a friend of mine (almost lost a finger), I always include a pair in my pack frame.

• Like 1

Again with the gutless method.  If it's not 90 degrees out take the time to bone him out.  I hauled my whole boned out coues deer in a single medium kuiu game bag this year.  (I think its medium, could be small.  def not large)  When I shot mine this year it was pushing 90 so I set the meat as well as the Cape and noggin In a creek below me on top of a tarp.  being submerged kept the flies off and cooled the meat before the 4ish hour pack out.  I wouldn't reccomend doing it If it's under 75 degrees out.  My elk last year took 3 days to pack out I kept it inside of a tent when it was raining and hanging in the shade when it was not.  the temps were high 60s maybe even in the 70s and I lost no meat.  the thick cotton game bags work great but they absorb a ton of blood, weigh a ton to start out with and take up too much space.  Look into what the kuiu game bags are made of and spend the money on some made of the same material.  stay away from stretchy cheese cloth like bags!  they are worthless.

• Like 1