Rangecon

1943 Atascosa-Tumacacori Buck

Grandpa was born in Warren, AZ in 1917. The second oldest of eight, he spent a lifetime in the Arizona outdoors. Hunting Coues was a passion of his; listening to his stories of packing pelts out of the Sierra Madre's to the mysterious (mythical?) Mexican Fan Tail deer of Southern Arizona are forever etched in my brain and heart. The three pictures are all from the Atascosa and Tumacacori Mountains. The picture with the Winchester Model 1895 in 30-06 is dated from 1943. The other two pictures are undated. Paul Morgan Rhinehart (1917-2004).

post-3137-1282449441_thumb.jpg

post-3137-1282449484_thumb.jpg

post-3137-1282449510_thumb.jpg

Great post.

Thanks for sharing pics of him and his deer.

He sure blew the shoulder off the second buck, nice buck to boot!

Thanks for posting those pictures.

My grandfather was from that same generations and told stories of deer hunting in the San Pedro Valley. He hunted off of horses and shot a gun that looked very similar to the one pictured but his was a 30-40 Krag. Those pictures bring back fond memories.

Those are toads. Can you imagine how big they would look if those bucks were photographed with today's methods......u know the arms straight out or sitting behind the animal (guilty as charged) lol.

Great photos. My dad was also born in Warren (Bisbee) and always called them "Sonoran fantails". He also told me that when he was a kid, they were only found on the highest mountain ridges and no one hunted them. Everyone wanted a big mule deer. Its good to see that someone actually was hunting them.

I just love looking at old photos from that far back. Someday I will get a scanner and post a few of my own. Thanks for sharing your family pictures with us. Awesome! :)