Sign in to follow this  
Browning'sCustomMeat

Processing FAQ's

I would first like to thank all that have given my the opportunity to cut and package your animals. I hope you enjoy and are pleased with the outcome and I look forward to doing more business with you in the future.

Secondly, I have been asked a few questions more than once and have heard certain comments made, not necessarily about me, but meat processors in general.

So I would like to give my side and to clarify, I am not speaking for any other meat processor or shop, just me, myself and I.

Question #1: Hanging Weight vs. Take Home?

I tend to say that 30-40% of your hanging weight on an animal is "bone weight". Sure you pay by the pound per hanging weight and bone is part if this. So if you have a 100lb deer you can consider 60lbs of meat is left....THEN, I have to peel/skin the whole thing over again because the outside has dried and is hard, you prolly won't want to eat it, plus I don't want it going through my grinder and that goes in the the barrel. We'll say that may be 10% respectfully. So you are down to 50lbs or 50% of total weight of what was there. Ex: 400lb elk: 200lbs respectfully goes into your freezer usually more....from Browning's Custom Meat Processing :P

Also keep in mind bones are a good thing....when you bring your animal in whole there is less waste and more meat is saved. Meat that is boned out tends to get dirt in some funny places plus there is more surface area to dry out hence creating more waste and leading to this question in the first place. ;)

Question #2: Why suet?

We use beef suet in your grind IF YOU would like, I ask up front, I just don't put it in. No, it does not cover up the flavor of the animal...believe sometimes a cover up is needed! hahaha! I tend to use a mix of 90/10...10% being beef fat. What it does really, is gives a little moisture when cooking in a pan or keeps your burgers together while on the grill. Nothing can make you more mad than trying to flip a burger and just watching it crumble through grill into the flames :( Thats a bummer. Oh... and we don't add it just to make a filler and supplement the weight...

Question #3: Whole or Quartered?

I prefer a whole animal and weather permitting with the skin on. At times its so hot that the skin should be removed ASAP! But if you are just around the corner ( figuratively speaking ) by all means leave it on. We have to equipment to skin your game and it keeps the meat a whole lot cleaner skinning at the shop. Why whole animals? Well, it goes back to question one, there is less waste on a whole animal, plain and simple. I'll split the animal and quarter it at the shop so you, the customer, get all the meat possible back into your freezer.

Question #4: Well not really a question....But I hear or read every so often accusations of a meat processor possibly stealing meat for themselves. And I believe I speak for most when I say we wouldn't want to eat half the stuff thats brought in. Plus cutting several hundred stinking elk a year puts a bad taste in your mouth. Blehhh! :blink: So anyways, I don't steal your meat, I don't really like elk meat so you should have no worries about this issue with me. :rolleyes:

Okay, now I know certain times calls for certain measures and a whole animal cannot be brought in and boning out an animal is necessary. Just keep your meat as clean as possible. And DO NOT use trash bags!! They hold in the heat and moisture and does your meat no good. Pillow cases are great game bags...just don't tell the wife you're taking them! hahaha! :lol:

I hope this helps, answers a few of you and gives a little more insight from my end. To all HAPPY HUNTING-GOOD LUCK and hope to see you come through my doors!

Here are some pictures of my work from whats brought in to what goes on your plate! ENJOY!!

These are your "backstraps" aka Ribeyes and New Yorks as a whole...

post-2235-1285091321_thumb.jpg

These are what they look like butterflied into steaks and ready for grilling!

post-2235-1285091405_thumb.jpg

Here is a typical shoulder....which can be made into roasts!

post-2235-1285091466_thumb.jpg

This is the same shoulder that has been pealed and ready to be boned out...

post-2235-1285091528_thumb.jpg

The same shoulder boned out, rolled and ready for tying!

post-2235-1285091574_thumb.jpg

Her she is all nice a pretty ready for the dutch oven or slow cooker!

post-2235-1285091613_thumb.jpg

Thanks for reading everyone and any questions please do not hesitate to ask!

Have a wonderful day!

-Jeremy-

• Like 2

Jeremy, I must say this is probably one of the most "selling" postings I have ever seen on this site! Your skill is like art work and I would imagine even my wonderful wife would be salivating at the look of the venison once you are finished with it! Thank you for showing folks what their venison "should" look like once processed and also for making me hungry now!

very nice

thank you for the info

This is a great post and should clear up any misconceptions anyone has of processing. Thanks Jeremy for taking the time to do this. Yes, I'm hungry as well. :)

TJ

hey buddy THANKS - do not forget about the poor critter that took 4-6-8 rounds to put down - more than one bullet hole means a lot of damaged meat that needs to be trimmed away- nothin more messy than blood shot meat !

I say this knowing of a poor critter -cow elk - that took 5 rounds before going down - only one was fatal - the last one - lol -

just an added note - wasn't me - i only put in for bull tags!- lol

hope to swing inand meeet - the meat guy --- gary

WOW....now you have to hurry and get me mine done I am freakin hungry.

Jeremy,

This is a great post! I usually get less meat when I cut up my own animal because I tend to be pretty picky. TRIM, TRIM, TRIM, crap that's it! :P

Keep up the good work!