Sign in to follow this  
synper100

tipping outfitters

Gentlemen, I am currently in Kansas hunting deer. MY hunt ends Friday and my question is this. How much should I tip? Hunting has been slow due to full moon and above average temps. I feel my outfitter is trying real hard to put me on deer and has been great on all aspects of the hunt. Any outfitters out there? Any guys have experience with professional guides? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

tip what you can afford ! success always helps - take a good look at everything you experienced on the hunt! - I'm not a guide but i know some who wont take tips if the hunter wasnt successfull - I'm sure whatever you decide will be greatly appreciated!- 10% is probably about right -but times are tough 5% is better than nothing !- just my .02 Gary

Something is better than nothing. 10% is good but more often than not, probably on the low side. Then again, not many hunts can be purchased for 2k. But please, don't let me talk you into feeling guilty about giving that much (or less). That guide will be very happy with whatever you can afford. Most guides I know don't work any harder expecting a bigger tip. Either they give you 100% because that's who they are or they don't care and just aren't very good at guiding. Tips can make or break a hunt. Depending on how much an Outfitter has invested in the hunt, a decent tip might mean he actually makes a little money finally. On the flip side, no tip can sometimes put a damper on the end result.

If you're happy with your guide/outfitter, treat them right. Do what you can. There's an "average" tip for a hunt but it still ranges greatly. I'd also say most guides have a pretty good idea about those who can and SHOULD tip appropriately. But don't let that title of a "Dr." with his several homes fool you! ;)

• Like 1

Well said Tines...

I had a buddy ask me the same question yesterday about his up coming CO hunt. When on an outfitted hunt there are many aspects in tipping.... not just the hunt quality and trophy quality in respects to the guide but also tipping of the camp staff as well. I think if a guys works his tail off for you and you know it you should tip him good... if he also manages to get you opportunity at a great trophy class animal then you tip him better,IMO... Here is what I told my Buddy should apply to hunts under $5K ... "Take 20% of the hunt in cash for all the tips you may need.... tip accordingly(as you see fit) and if you have some left based on the quality of the hunt then put it in the back in the bank when you are done." Hunts over $5K jump you into a different tip bracket... in Africa on a $100K hunt we were expected to tip about 5% or 6% of the total hunt cost. ;)

I have received from $100 to $200 a day, depending on the tipper. Also been stiffed after putting clients on game multiple times on archery hunts, they couldn't seal the deal.

• Like 1

the way i did it in the past

$50 a day for sure

i would add $25 a day extra if he or she worked there butt off

extra $50 for each game i got

$100 if i suck and cant seal the deal not there Problem thats mine

now if the outfitter sucked they get a big ZERO happened to me one time in TX

• Like 1

I use to guide hunters in CO when I lived there. I would have to say that the 10% rule is a good rule to fallow. I worked for an outfitter and never asked what he was charging hunters but the hunters told me what they where charged on many hunts. I always seem to get that 10% no matter if they where successful or not and a little more when they where successful. But I would base my tip of my experiece if you no what I mean.

10% is a good place to start, then give more or less depending on what kind of service/how hard your guide worked for you. Always let him know what you thought of the work he did.

Good topic, I have wondered what the norm is. What about items instead of cash. Range finders, binocs ect? Obviously if the guide is lacking these items.

Bob

When I guided, I would always be happy with any tip. I can't say that I ever expected a tip from anyone. We have a father and son that booked a couple hunts every year for a few years. They pretty much tipped $200 when an animal was harvested and $0 when one wasn't. Nothing on the hunt changed that. It was apparently just his pre-determined amount.

Just last year I had a successful antelope hunter stiff me on a tip. I also had a very nice lady who I guided for elk. She had some limitations and I had to change up my game plan because of them. We hunted hard for her 4 day hunt, but she didn't get one. She was impressed enough that she tipped me nearly 40% of the hunt cost. It really just is what it is. Some will tip and some won't.

I guess it just all depends on the client. I would guess around 10% would be average, but don't be afraid to tip more if your guide went above and beyond what you expected from him/her.

As far as gear goes, I don't see any issues with asking your guide if he would prefer gear or cash.

You can tell when your guide is respectful, hard working, and going the extra mile to help make your hunt a success.

Be it in having great experiences (memories) or putting you on game.

I say 10% is a start.

What about items instead of cash. Range finders, binocs ect? Obviously if the guide is lacking these items.

Bob

I generally will take an old pack or some camo down on hunts to Mexico just for this purpose. It seems to be GREATLY appreciated. Along with some cash of course ;)

A guide once told me that "gear doesn't put diapers on my kids or food on my table, I'd prefer cash." No, I wasn't being guided by this person but I appreciated his comments. That said, gear might go further than cash for some.

• Like 1

I would have to say that gear is good only if it is a drastic upgrade to what your guide has. Alot of guides I know, including myself do so for the extra income. (Not accounting for the love and fun of it of course.) I say cash is best most often and I have to agree that tipping what you can afford is good. Don't get caught too much on the final outcome of the hunt, (successful or unsuccessful), because a guide may work his tail off and things don't go as planned. That's just hunting no matter how good you are.