Sign in to follow this  
synper100

tipping outfitters

Having guided, I never expected a tip, so when I got one it was a very plesant surpriseand a true bonus, I also enjoyd getting the toys as long as they were better than what I already had...Dan

I would say at least 10% depending on circumstances. Most of the guides that I know make most of their $ from tips. If you have a good guide that worked his butt off then he deserves to get paid for it. If he was worthless, then definitely the tip should reflect... a non-tipper is going to be known as such and will definitely pay for that mistake for years to come if he wants to hunt with the same outfitter.

• Like 1

I guess if the end result was a shot at a trophy, a tip would be in order, but kind of feel that me hiring someone would be a great tip itself. But then, I don't have money to do that either. :wacko:

• Like 1

I just got back from Alaska on vacation. We booked with a guide for a half day salmon river fishing trip. Way early for most runs (July 1st is usually the main run start time), but they had a very limited early sockeye run on the river. The cost was $150/per for three of us, and I tipped my guide $50.

Here is the kicker. The gear they supplied was crap. The guide was more interested in fishing himself than really helping us. I did most of the work except for picking the spots. We wound up catching two salmon (my wife w. 1 @ 12# and my 11 year old daughter w. 1 @ 11#), a rainbow (my daughter, 16"), a dolly varden (my wife, 18"), and a grayling (my daughter, 12"). I got skunked, but hooked up to a salmon and a rainbow, but did not land them. I was just thrilled that my 11 year old caught her first salmon and had a great time.

Even though the guide did not really do his job, I had a fantastic experience, probably more so than if the guide would have done all the work.

I think 10 percent is a good average for any type of service such as this. I also think it should be flexible and not expected. If you get lousy service tip accordingly. If you have a great experience you should tip well regardless of the outcome. I think it is a very bad idea to tip below 5% unless you really don't ever want to see that person again :)

I have been on guided hunts and I now guide so I understand both sides of it. If your guide has been working his butt off for you and it has just not been in the cards, Tip what you can. If you can tip 20%, that is great. If you truly can only afford 10% that is fine too. Guides recognize that some can afford more than others. Now, if you have a pair of swaros and are wearing Kuiu, and you have a custom rifle and such, but you only tip 10%, then you are a cheapskate. We all have gear already. Cash is really the best tip. Now, that said, if you want to leave me a pair of swaros instead of a cash tip, I will be more than happy to accept them!

Respectfully disagree. Many hunters save and save for a once in a lifetime hunt and have also made plenty of personal sacrifices to purchase the gear they have.

I've been on hunts where the guide had $100 spotting scope and made a point to say how he needed some new hunting boots and talked about former clients who gave him expensive gear and went on to admire my (rented) bino's wishing he could buy some like that.

Don't get me wrong there are some class acts out there guiding and I'd imagine they do little more than break even or make a small profit. But I've also seen a few that blindside the client with other last minute costs which can and do add up.

When a hunt is advertised at a fixed price then that should be the price. It's disheartening for a hunter when the guide brings more help into the camp and at the end says that they are there not getting paid and say things like the last client loved having them there and tipped them a couple of Benjamin's.

I think some guides can't wait for the hunt to be over so they can see how much of a tip they get and in their case it's never enough and usually not the experience the client looked for getting patronized every moment of the day. Guides who run their business or judge the clients on getting tipped will be unhappy and the client will see through it and may not return, if he or she has that dream to do that particular hunt again.

Guided hunts for some is akin to a kid going to a State Fair for a night with a ticket book who is probably not going to ride the same ride twice.

I don't usually hunt with guides because for the most part it is not in the budget, but have on a couple of special occasions. Best guide I have ever hunted with worked his butt of for me and probably cared more about me killing than I did, and I cared a lot. I tipped him about 10% because that's all I had. He earned that and more even though we never saw or found a bear. I've only ever hunted with one other guide. I don't want to bash him or go into detail, but and he made me appreciate the first guy even more than I already did.

Bottom line, IMO the tip has little to do with harvesting an animal and everything to do with how hard the guide works to make sure you have a great experience. If you find a good guide, treat him well as you will probably want to hunt with him again.

I had a absolutely outstanding hunt in 9 with Mullins outfitters. Unfortunately, I was not financially able to tip my guide much. I have him and the cook every penny I could while still being able to get home.

• Like 1