Sign in to follow this  
ffjpayne

best call for spring turkey

IMO - the best call for a beginner is a slate call. they are easy to use and you can make a lot of different sounds with them. mouth calls take a lot of practice and you are limited in the number of sounds you can use with a box call. get a locator call (peacock, coyote, owl, etc) and a gobble call. good luck. lots of birds in 27 but merriams are pretty smart birds.

I have heard box calls are quite simple to use. me and my girlfriend both drew a spring tag for 27 also. I have only hunted up there in fall this will be our first time in spring and calling etc. I got a nice hen up there last year , and a nice one in 23 this fall. good luck with your hunt and finding a call!!

post-5003-1289427584_thumb.jpg

For starters a locator is a must. We have numerous ones but the good old 2 handed owl hoot works good. have killed birds out of there the past 3 years with last year being the best. A good box call will work, the one i have cost me about 25 bucks 8 years ago and is still going strong. I too will be in 27 early this year. good luck to ya.

I will also be in 27 for the spring hunt. Put alot of miles on the truck 2 years ago chasing birds. Still working on this turkey calling stuff so any help with calls would be greatly appreciated.

:rolleyes: :lol: I have heard them go off slamming a car door, pretty much anything will work, I use a crow, but a lot of guy's like coyote calls before dawn. If I was going to use one call, it would be a Lynch box call, but I also like to use a slate as well. Good luck!!

Pretty humbling to be outsmarted by a bird with a brain the size of a pea isn't it.

There is no "best" call, just the one you can work best. Diaphrams are great because your hands are free, box and slate calls are easier to learn to use, all take practice. Shock calls like owl hoots and coyote howls are supposed to make the toms gobble back so you know where they are. The rest is up to you.

Humbling indeed...

Started with a Lynch box call, then moved on the slate...now have a few of each. Seems like some birds like one thing, and some another. Get a couple to start. Key thing is to practice before heading out in the woods so that you feel confident. If I could only take one call, it would be my Timberline slate...just seem to have more luck with that one.

I will also be in 27 for the spring hunt. Put alot of miles on the truck 2 years ago chasing birds. Still working on this turkey calling stuff so any help with calls would be greatly appreciated.

What part of 27 u been hunting?

It is all about what you can run and make sound good. Over the last few years I have acquired a ton of really nice calls. I still mix it up though. I like diaphragms for either really loud calling or in close shots where I can't move. Slate is my ultimate go to call though. Easy to use and works in almost any condition. It is also easy to change the pitch on these by using different strikers. Box calls are also very easy to use.

Just remember. It isn't actually necessary to get the most expensive call on the market right a way. They may sound better to you in the long run but some turkeys just don't care. I killed many birds using a call I paid 7 dollars for out of the bargain bin at wal mart when I was 14. It isn't going to win any awards but I can make it sound good and the toms seem to love it.