Sign in to follow this  
CouesWhitetail

Duck Recipes --- who has a good one?

eat the stamp. you can't smoke em either. won't stay lit. Lark.

The wife and I are cracking up Lark. lol Don't bother marinating the stamp cause we tried it. Still taste the same. :)

TJ

Going to do the Ramaki and give that Bacon Weave a try. The weave was very impressive looking!

We usually stick to the duck poppers and they disappear like candy.

Someon already mentioned them ~1" pc of duck a piece of jalapeno all wrapped in bacon.

We usually soak it is a brine of some kind or overnight in BBQ sauce. Terriyaki also works well.

Here's an idea. I recently made a Duck and Andouille Elk Sausage Etouffee, and it was amazing. If you love Creole/Cajun food, this is an excellent recipe to try. Like any good Sicilian woman, I don't own measuring cups, so all measurements are approximate:

First, I made my own Andouille Elk Sausage, but feel free to buy some from the store:

2.5# pork shoulder, cut into 1" cubes

2.5# elk, cut into 1" cubes

1/2 C. My Rub (recipe below)

1/4 C. Paprika

1.5 tsp. Filé powder (optional)

3 tsp. black pepper

1 tsp. cumin

1.5 tsp. crushed red pepper

2 tsp. garlic powder

2 tsp. salt

1/4 C. chopped garlic

1. Combine, cover and refrigerate for 24 hours.

2. Remove from refrigerator, pass meat through grinder.

3. Pass half of the meat through grinder a second time.

4. Stuff casings or form patties.

5. Grill to perfection or smoke for 25-30 minutes.

Then I make the Etouffee!

Etouffee base:

1/2 cup flour

1/3 cup vegetable oil

2 Tbs. butter

1 quart stock (beef, duck, chicken)

1-2 large cloves garlic, chopped (I am always pretty liberal with the garlic)

1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper, preferably a bit overripe and blushing, seeds and membrane removed

1/4 cup chopped onion

1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce

1/4 cup orange juice

3 dashes of your favorite hot sauce(Mine is Cholula)

1 tsp. Creole seasoning or my rub

1 lb. andouille elk sausage

2-3 pounds of cooked, coarsely chopped duck

4 oz. mushrooms, preferably wild or exotic, sliced

3 green onions, tender green parts only, snipped finely

1. Make a dark roux with the flour and oil in a small, heavy pan, stirring constantly. The quantities will make about two or three times as much roux as you need for this recipe, but if you make any less it won't come out right. When the roux reaches the color of an old penny, remove it from the heat and stir in about 1/4 cup of stock until smooth. Let it cool. Reserve all but about 1/4 cup of the roux mixture for other uses.

2. In the same pan (after removing the roux to cool), heat the butter until bubbling and add the chopped bell pepper, onions, celery, and garlic. Cook until they're soft and the onions are clear.

3. Add the remaining stock to the pan and bring to a simmer. Whisk in 1/3 cup of the roux mixture until smooth. Add the rest of the etouffee base ingredients and cook on a low boil to reduce by about a third.

4. Slice the andouille sausages from end to end twice, to get four sticks from each sausage. Cut across the sticks to make quarter-round pieces.

5. In a heavy skillet over medium heat, cook the andouille to render out some of the fat and brown the edges of the andouille pieces noticeably. Pour off any excess fat. Add the duck, chicken, or turkey meat and the mushrooms to the pan and cook until the mushrooms begin to get limp.

6. Stir in one cup of the etouffee base. Lower the heat to medium-low. Cover the pan and cook for two or three minutes, until everything is piping hot and well imbued with the etouffee base.

7. Check the seasonings and add salty, pepper or Tabasco as needed. Serve over rice or on its own. Sprinkle green onions liberally over each plate and serve. Baked sweet potatoes would be the perfect side dish.

This serves 4-8 depending on your eaters. In my house, sometimes it barely serves 4, especially when my man and my dad chow down. Those two can put away some food! Enjoy!

My Rub: (works great on all meats and seafood)

8 tablespoons paprika

3 tablespoons ancho chili powder

5 tablespoons freshly ground szechuan pepper corns (you can use black, I prefer the unique flavor of the szechuan)

6 tablespoons garlic powder

3 tablespoons onion powder

6 tablespoons salt

2 1/2 tablespoons dried oregano

2 1/2 tablespoons dried thyme

1. Cut out breast.

2. Butterfly breast

3.fill slot with jalapeno and cream cheese.

4.close and rub with your favorite rub

5.wrap with bacon.

6.cook to no more than medium (remember its fowl-not poulty)

• Like 1

fillet breast skin on sear in med/high pan with olive oil and choice of seasoning.... some smoked paprika seasoning salt.... med. rare!

serve w/ wild rice and top off with some mango salsa.

James

Easy, tasty and especially good/accepting for the first time duck eater.

Duck (preferably dabbler breasts, chunked at 2")

Bacon (thick)

Teriyaki or other preferred/similar sauce (thick)

Pineapple (fresh and chunked)

In the field by campfire -

1) Slightly precook the bacon by way of choice, giving it a head start but yet leaving fat to burn.

2) Combine precooked bacon, duck chunks, pineapple chunks and teriyaki sauce in tin foil and wrap it up tightly.

Cook on low heat coals about 8-10 minutes a side for a medium cook, adjust to preference.

Can be served with rice.

At home by BBQ -

1) Marinate duck chunks in Teriyaki or preferred sauce overnight or at least an hour or two.

2) Slightly precook the bacon by way of choice, giving it a head start but yet leaving fat to burn.

3) Wrap duck chunks in precooked bacon.

Shishkabob bacon wrapped duck chunks and pineapple and grill on low heat as desired.

Can grill with sweet peppers or other shishkabob favorties as well.

As long as they didn't have their mind made up before they tried it, I haven't had anyone say they don't enjoy it this way. Hope any testers enjoy it as well.

I have tried Duck several ways. The key is not to over cook it. If you do, it gets dry. Easy ways are to marinade your duck in some kind of citric marinade and pan fry it. Season it with salt / pepper or creole seasoning and slowly seer it on both sides. Do not cook it until completely cooked. It is best and more tender if you let it rest after you cook it.

Another option is the same way i cook dove. Take the breast meat and cook it for 5-10 minutes in a very seasoned stock. It should not be completely cooked, just firm enough to handle. Slice the breast into strips. Take a slice of bacon, add a sliver of jalapeno, and pepper jack cheese and season with creole seasoning. Role the seasoned sliced duck breast, sliver of jalapeno and pepper jack cheese up in the bacon. Insert toothpick to hold together. grill until bacon is crisp. ENJOY!!!!!