Coues 'n' Sheep

It has been bugging me…

If you can't kill your target in 1 shot you shouldn't be shooting unless it is self defense plain and simple. Those people that go out and couldn't hit the broadside of a barn shouldn't be hunting. If this applies to you get on that range and learn proper marksmanship because when you don't you make all hunters look terrible. I know I haven't posted much and this may offend some but its the truth.

@PatrickJr, my comment wasn't about putting an animal out of its misery which is what you are talking about. I'm referring to the idiots that are trying to shoot WAY out of their skill level and wing the animal in the leg etc after several shots. Also I can honestly say I have never had to shoot an animal more than once but I go to great lengths to make sure I don't have to. The most important thing besides using proper caliber, windage/elevation calculations, and equipment is stalking the animal. From my experience the yahoos that take multiple shots over 300 yards are also the same idiots that are too lazy to hike 100 yards past the radius of their truck. Let's be honest here, laziness is a big reason for shooting outside of one's known range and skill level as others have previously mentioned.

Perhaps this short video message will convey the message by the original poster.........which I wholeheartedly agree with in terms of extreme range shooting.

• Like 2

Looks like the topic been pretty well covered here.

My 2nd deer kill was well over 400 yards when I was just a kid, and I'd take that shot again today. I was so accurate with that Win. Model 88 that it felt like an extension of my arm.

But what differentiates me from a lot of hunters is, I will track an animal for as long as it takes (so far have only had to track others wounded animals). If you decide you are capable of that long, long shot, it takes a commitment. Once an animal is hit, you'd better consider it yours. Don't relent in it's pursuit, and the thought of taking a more convenient animal that may present itself along the way, should never enter into the equation.

My uncle was a punk and highly unethical. Once when I was a kid hunting in the White Mountains, the mule deer were migrating. The uncle already had a small buck but got so excited as I was preparing a shot, that he took my rifle and shot at a big buck, hitting him low in the gut. My dad kicked his brothers butt and sent him home crying. Me, dad and another backwoodsman tracked that buck for two days. But on the third day, the coyotes had been tracking him also and tore him apart.

As for my uncle? Recently learned the old fart just had a mastectomy. Yes, I spelled that right. Karma?

If you can't kill your target in 1 shot you shouldn't be shooting unless it is self defense plain and simple. Those people that go out and couldn't hit the broadside of a barn shouldn't be hunting. If this applies to you get on that range and learn proper marksmanship because when you don't you make all hunters look terrible. I know I haven't posted much and this may offend some but its the truth.

I disagree, heres an example, a bull elk that you have watched for years and you finally draw the tag for the unit he lives in, so you go out and see him, you shoot. The shot is a perfect lung shot, but he just stands there, what are you going to do , just sit there and watch him gasp for air then run off, nooooooooo! you are going to get as many more shots in him until he goes down!!! thats called being an ethical hunter!

I agree with you that if a person doesn't go out to the range and practice with their rifle and make sure that it is sighted in then you shouldn't be hunting, but if you do and the animal needs another shot to do the trick then you should put that shot in!!!

I am offended that you said this because im sure that you and everyone else on this site has taken more than one shot at an animal at least once! I practice more than most because I shoot in competition, but you cant predict what is going to happen in the field unless you have a crystal ball!!! I have had to shoot more than once a couple times, and I am not ashamed of it, I do wish I wouldn't have had to take those extra shots, but it happens, it is called hunting!!!

Hmmm I believe from the description your first shot killed this Elk, he just did not go down right away. Of 4 elk I have bagged 3 took follow up shots to stop. In all cases first shot a killing shot square through the lungs. Feel no shame, as all good clean shots at acceptable ranges with 30-06 180 gr.