Sign in to follow this  
More D

6A hunt succes stories?

I know that a number of fellow CWT members had drawn a 6A Muzz loader tags for both bull and cow.

My wife and uncle both drew cow tags with no luck. We saw LOTS of elk, both cows and bulls just never not lucky enough to put one down. Friday morning I was in tears :lol: because neither my wife or uncle had a bull tag. We had a VERY NICE 6x6 bull with 10inch 5th & 6th points at 35 yards for a 30 second staring match! He was leading a big heard and when he got tired of playing with us he walked to the next hill about 100 yards away with us in tow for a fat cow but as soon as we popped our heads over the hill they were off! I just stood there with my mouth open in aw, 40-50 elk running by all less than 80 yards away! I was proud of my wife for not taking a iffy running shot. Every day was pretty much the same. FUN!

We all had a wonderfull time in some of the most beautiful country, all in all it was a succsessful hunt!

:lol:

Seeing elk up close and personal is always a thrill, particularly when it's a big bull!

Sorry you did not fill a tag, but I am glad you had what I alsow wouls have considered a good hunt. Getting out with family and friends ans seeing the animals is almost as fun as getting an animal, with half the work.

I had very similar experience to yours in 6A during the junior cow hunt. Saw elk each time out, including a very big 6x6 bull, and a mere 5x5 who paled in comparison.

Sadly we practiced "catch and release" hunting during that hunt as well, but also considered it a successful hunt.

I'm still waiting for a friend to return from his muzzleloader hunt in the same area to see how he did.

Bret

Nope, we struck out. My dad had a 6a muzzy tag. We saw one bull with a missing right side the whole weekend. On Friday, we got out there early, and started glassing, but then the rains came, and chased us back to camp where it then snowed on us. :lol: We did help a guy get his cow out Sunday night, that was fun. B)

It was a very,very tough hunt to say the least. Rain on Friday, bright moon,and hot weather. We saw a total of 10 bulls and about 40 cows for the weekend. I blew both my shot opportunities at two 300 class bulls. Running shots with a front stuffer just don't work out, at least for me. Anyways, I had a blast just being out there and would do it again in a heartbeat.

GB - sounds like our expereinces were very similar. We were out in that the whole day on the 11th. Snowed on, sleet, hail, rain...

Marshall

Muskrat, I forgot that you had the tag as well. I had the same trouble-passed on a 290-class 6 by opening morning, then got lightninged/hailed/snowed/rained off the rim. Saw some GREAT bulls from about 5 miles away, but when I got off the rim it was darn hard to tell where the heck I was going. Jumped a shooter bull on the 4th day and trailed him 6 miles but could never get him to cooperate (I about died that day when I wondered why I was so freakin' tired and my GPS odometer said I'd gone 11.81 miles).........I had a great time, got some positively AWESOME sunset/moonrise pics, and met Salmon from MM, who came all the way to Munds from Mormon just to say hi.

I'll definitely put in again-lots of elk! Just needed a partner is all!

Lisa

Did the fires cause any problems? They were too far south from us to blame for us?

;)

The Kachina fires? Not for us, the wind blew from the northeast most of the time, kept it headed to Sedona. They were going to have a prescribed burn over off 91, but I don't think they did it while we were there (but then again, I was not over that way).

Lisa