Sign in to follow this  
CouesWhitetail

Chicken Fried Venison Backstrap

Made this the other night from a backstrap from my buck I shot this year in Alabama.

I used a wooden mallet to pound the backstrap and make it even more tender. Not sure if this is necessary, but most recipes I saw called for this.

Sliced the backstrap about 1/4 inch thick, dipped it in a bowl of flour and roasted garlic spice mix, then dipped in egg/milk mixture and then back in the flour. Then put in frying pan with oil and cooked each side until crispy. Put on plate with paper towels to remove some of the oil.

Served it with mashed potatoes and white gravy (I just used one of those packets to make the white gravy...very tastey!)

Husband and I loved it!

post-1-0-90797800-1298394941_thumb.jpeg

post-1-0-45733000-1298394918_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

Amanda:

That pretty much is how I cook backstraps, except that I "butterfly" them so the pieces are larger. Don't know if that is the proper term, but it involves cutting almost all the way through the first slice, then all the way through the next, then folding out the two connected "butterfly wings" before pounding them flat. There is no better eating, as far as I am concerned.

Bill Quimby

Growin up that was always what I asked for for my B-day dinner. I'm with Bill; "There is no better eating".Looks good, I'm going to have to see if I have any backstraps tucked away.

That is the most excellent way to cook steaks!! I do not use my backstrap for that though, I have a meat cubber that we got from L.E.M and we do some of the less desirable steak cut's, which make for excellent "chicken fried elk or venison"

Gotta love that southern cooking.

• Like 1

Every time I think about going on a diet someone goes and post something like this. :( Dang Amanda, now I have to go home after work tonight and go thru the freezer looking for backstrap. Tomorrow will be a great day if I find some. Boy I love food! :D

Peg noticed your floor and said we had the same one in our kitchen when we moved in to our house.

I also use the egg and flour. But I put some creol seasoning in the flour and fry it up. That creol seasoning is some good stuff.

looks delish Amanda!

Bill, yes, that's the proper term for butterfying.

TJ, diet!!?!!

Peg, only you would notice the flooring! LOL

Well you got me thinking about yesterday and I had to make some, didnt find any backstraps though. I add crunched up Ritz crackers to my flour breading. Grocery store had cuts of sirloin on sale (cheaper than chicken). I felt bad for not grilling the sirloin, but felt better once I ate it fried :lol: No pictures, sorry, I was hungry!

hey Amanda next time instaed of gravy - try it with a package of creamy alfedo sause - AWESUME

i didnt have any cracker so i mashed up honey nut cheerio's with a rollin pin -

so it was flour /eggs/cheerios

Well you got me thinking about yesterday and I had to make some, didnt find any backstraps though. I add crunched up Ritz crackers to my flour breading. Grocery store had cuts of sirloin on sale (cheaper than chicken). I felt bad for not grilling the sirloin, but felt better once I ate it fried :lol: No pictures, sorry, I was hungry!

Youngbuck:

We use round steak ... after the butcher has run it through his meat tenderizing machine three times. It's not as tasty as venison, but it's close.

Bill Quimby

I make that quite a bit, and make the gravy out of the meat drippings in the pan, brown a little flour in the juice/grease then pour in milk and bring to a boil - yum, yum. Plus I like mashed potato's with lumps, thems real taters there.....

That is how I like them as well except I’ve never done the mash taters and gravy... I prefer fried eggs with mine, or turned into venison parmesan! I think I am gunna try it your way soon! ;) Mmmmm!

Had to try it tonight with some elk meat. My daughters loved it and I have to agree with em. Thanks for the idea Amanda ;)