Sign in to follow this  
eldiablo

Africa With a Muzzleloader 2012

Guys, we are planning a trip (first) to Africa next year. We have booked 7 day plains game hunts with Kuvhima Safaris, who operate primarily in the Limpopo Province in South Africa. They were highly recommended by other guys at a local SCI banquet.

Haven't decided on species yet. I hope to use a muzzleloader but it looks like it will be tough getting powder shipped there. Anyone have any experience with that?

Any suggestions on species, best time of year or experience with that outfitter? Thanks in advance!

Guys, we are planning a trip (first) to Africa next year. We have booked 7 day plains game hunts with Kuvhima Safaris, who operate primarily in the Limpopo Province in South Africa. They were highly recommended by other guys at a local SCI banquet. Haven't decided on species yet. I hope to use a muzzleloader but it looks like it will be tough getting powder shipped there. Anyone have any experience with that? Any suggestions on species, best time of year or experience with that outfitter? Thanks in advance!

Your outfitter should be able to obtain everything you need in South Africa. Give him a list and plenty of time to fill it, though, because he may have to order it from the larger gun shops in Johannesburg or Cape Town. Don't even think about trying to travel with powder and percussion caps. Years ago, guys used to reload shotshells with black powder or Pyrodex, and hide their caps in checked luggage. Don't try that now. The Homeland Security folks know all about it, and the penalties are steep -- as they should be.

Happy hunting. Every type of animal in Africa from duikers to elephants have been taken with muzzleloaders. I know two guys who took all of the Big Five as well as hippo, crocodile and most of the antelopes with them in the 1980s and 1990s, and wrote a very good book about it. If I can remember the title and find a copy on the net, I'll post its location here for you.

Bill Quimby

Couldn't find the book I recommend you read. There is one by Randy D. Smith who made one trip (as best as I can tell) to South Africa and came home to write "Hunting Modern South Africa With Powder and Ball." You can find it at Amazon.com

One trip and five or six antelope does not an Africa expert make, but he may have some answers to questions you haven't yet thought about asking.

Happy hunting. C.J. McElroy, who founded Safari Club International, used to say he envied no one except someone on his first African safari. Make enough trips down there and you will know what he meant.

Bill Quimby

"Any suggestions on species, best time of year or experience with that outfitter? Thanks in advance! "

Every first-timer wants greater kudu and gemsbok, and you should be able to take good specimens of both in the Limpopo province . You'll also have opportunities to take warthog, zebra, impala, red hartebeest, eland, blue wildebeest, and maybe reedbuck. Depending upon where you will be, there also may be springbok.

I wouldn't shoot a nyala on that side of the country -- they occur naturally in KwaZulu Natal and along the Indian Ocean coast, but some outfitters will release them on farms elsewhere, including Limpopo province, just before a hunter arrives. Others may have introduced a small, breeding herd.

There is no way to tell which animal was born there and which arrived in a horse trailer three days previously, though.

I have not heard of the outfitter, but that's not surprising. There are more than 5,000 in South Africa, and only a few are someone you won't want to hunt with.

Don't know if you are aware of it, but the chances are 99.9999% that you will be hunting a high-fenced game farm of 5,000 to 10,000 acres. South Africa's wildlife laws encourage landowners to manage game inside enclosures, so virtually every farm that offers hunting will be high fenced.

Seasons are reversed south of the Equator, so May through September will be fall, winter and spring. Hunt too early and you could get rained out. Hunt too late and it will be hot. The antelope you will be hunting will have better capes in the winter (june to August).

Don't forget to take jackets, gloves and hats. I've seen snow in Johannesburg in July. It won't snow in Limpopo, but it can get downright chilly, especially early and late in the day when you're driving around in an open Toyota Land Cruiser.

If you have the extra money and time, you may want to set aside three days to fly up to Victoria Falls and another three or four days to drive around Kruger Park. Both are worth seeing.

No problem if you can't do it this trip, because you will return. As the saying goes, everyone who tastes the waters of AFrica must return to taste them again.

Bill Quimby

I am surprised you didnt book a contract with the outfitter for certain animals, with the option of adding others at trophy fee only.

When I went, I had my contract animals, and then added a Red Hartebeest and was planning on adding a common springbok, but saw a very nice bushbuck I could not pass up... When your PH has you set up on an animal and then says "Monster bushbuck, will you shoot it?" It is hard to say no!!

What ever you do, take animals you like... For example, one of my contract animals was a blesbok... I had absolutely ZERO desire to shoot one of them, so I didnt...

This is from Africanhunting.com

Black Powder and Cap supplies in South Africa

As a manufacturer of muzzleloaders we generally always have a supply of BLACK POWDER FFFg, FFg and 1 1/2 Fg by WANO and or SWISS, we do not get PYRODEX, 777 etc in South Africa as our market is just too small. In addition to this we also have caps in #10, #11, #11 MAGNUM and Musket Caps as well as a selection of flints in stock.

If there are any hunters passing through Johannesburg we can probably put together a parcel of what they would like and need given a bit of notice.

Craig Klintworth

Mkonto Manufacturing cc - Custom Gunmaker South Africa

info@mkonto.co.za

www.mkonto.co.za