Ok so I recently pulled and fired my handgun that I go hiking with on a coyote. I carry a 357 mag revolver and let me tell you it hurt my ears bad to fire it. I had never fired it without hearing protection until then. I was wondering what is a good gun to carry while hiking that you could use without hearing protection usually in emergency situations or rare encounter with something you can shoot that close. I know all pistols are loud, but what would cause the least amount of hearing damage if you had to use it without hearing protection?

Thanks

Connor

have had excellent success with a 44 Special but am currently looking for a 45 Colt 6" Vaquero.

357 mag, 357 sig and 40/10mm seem to be the loudest of them all.

lee

when im hiking or biking i normal carry a 22mag as i almost always see a coyote or two. and im unusual in a semi urban area.

did you get the coyote?

revolvers are always loud. you get a lot of blast between the cylinder and barrel. about the only pistol i can tolerate without hearing protection is a .22 auto and i have model 59 smith in 9mm that i can shoot well without ear plugs. in a semi auto, the sound is mostly all going away from you. revolvers, even really well made expensive ones, have noise going everywhere. i always put some ear plugs with the string on em around my neck and try to remember to use them. do the same when hunting with a braked rifle too. Lark.

casey, quit usin' them earplugs dummy. if you don't use em long enough you can't hear nothin'. trust me, it works. first pistol i ever bought was a model 19 smith combat magnum. immediately went out and shot a whole box o' ammo through it. after about 20 i noticed my ears really hurt. i actually tore some o' the stuffing outta the seat on my ol' pickup where it was pokin' out of a hole in the cover and stuffed it in my ears. i never did hear good after that. i think if would have had some muffs or ear plugs that day my hearing would be much better than it is now. protect your ears while you can still hear. we had been trying to tree a lion once for several days. he would tree, but would always jump before we got there. finally put him up a pretty big ponderosa. as i rode up he started to jump the tree so i shot him with my .44 mag while still in the saddle. all i really remember is all the sudden my ears started ringing and my mule went to bucking all over the country side. killed the cat, but dang it hurt my ears. Lark.

Lark, my favorite line to my girlfriend already is "huh?"

Dont know if its because I tune her out half the time, or cant hear her half the time....

Condor- what make and model 357? what are your groups at 25 yards like?

Condor- i have shot both handgun and rifle competition. i have shot over 250 coytes, some of those with a .357. i repeat my question.

I think those FNH 5-seven pistols are less noisy than the 40s, 45s, and mag revolvers. Not much in the energy department though, but they are fast.

casey, i thought the main thing you asked her was "is you sister comin' to the family reunion this year"?

man, i'm sorry. i am an absolutely horrible person. but i couldn't help myself. Lark.

Condor- i have shot both handgun and rifle competition. i have shot over 250 coytes, some of those with a .357. i repeat my question.

Hey ronin sorry I wasn't watching this forum so I just now saw your post. My 357 is surprisingly accurate at 30 yards I can shoot the neck off a beer bottle and then break the bottle with next shot. I hear this is rare to have a gun that shoots that accurately with only a 4inch barrel. I have never tried to group it on paper but I imagine I could group at 2-3 inches maybe. It is a ruger gp100.

I have a 45 L.C. Black-hawk doesn't seem to be to loud, 'course

I don't use it to shoot at coyote's or anything, emergency only, if you got a bear or a lion on ya I would not worry about the noise. lol

I believe that if you are shooting a handgun that has velocity under 1000 feet per second the damage to your ears is much less than magnums. I screwed my ears up shooting a 44 mag without ear protection as a young man. I shoot my 45 auto without ear plugs on rare occasions without the effects that the magums have.