Sign in to follow this  
CouesWhitetail

Cliff Sorrels just got back from Africa!

Beautiful! Congratulations on what looks like an incredible safari, I can't wait to hear the story!!! In a little more than 2 weeks I will be back on the 'Dark Continent' I'm so excited!

Hi all,As Amanda said I got back from bowhunting Africa last Wed.It was the trip of a lifetime,and if I can do it,anyone can,so never give up on going.The plane ride is 17 hrs.from New York to Johanesburg,so it turns into a endurance test with the layover time included.I booked with Dries Visser Safaris in northern Limpopo provence in South Africa.They picked me up,and we drove to the ranch about 220 miles NW of Jburg.This took about 5hrs,ate lunch,shot the bow,and went out and looked at some animals.The country is very similar to Southern Arizona between Tucson,and Nogales.The ranch is about 100 thousand acres with 34 permanent blinds built on waterholes.The first day I shot the Kudu,and the impala.The next day I shot the Gemsbuck.Day 3 a nice male warthog came in, so I shot him, and he only went about 35 yds.and piled up.Day 4 I was going to shoot a Gemsbok cow with close to 40 inch horns,but there either ended up being animals in the way,or the wrong angle.No animals were taken,although there were plenty of opportunities.Day 5 about 35 wildebeest came in, and there was a real nice bull that I wanted.We were patient,and about 3 hrs later he finally came in to water,and I got my shot.He went the greatest distance of all the animals,and that was only about 125 yds,so we didn't have to use the trackers much.I really wanted a Zebra,and less than 30 minutes after I shot the wildebeest,I had my chance.It was a nice stallion at 20 yds,and he went down in less than 50 yds.The next day I didn't shoot.Day 7 I would have either taken another impala,if it was bigger than the one I had,or another warthog.I had been in the blind a couple of hours when a nice female warthog came in,and she wrapped up my african hunt.The longest shot was 20 yds,with a few at 17-18,and one at 10.The blinds are really comfortable,with carpet,and sliding windows.We ate all of the various animals,and if I lived over there I probably wouldn't eat beef again.I used a Matthews Drenalin bow,and Thunderhead 100 gr.broadheads.The wildebeest was the only animal the arrow didn't pass through,and it was sticking out the other side.Sorry so long,but enjoy.Cliff

Awesome Job Cliff. Those are all great animals. Congratulations!

Bob