Sign in to follow this  
NRS

Unit 1 youth elk camp

My son and I are going up to the Unit 1 youth elk hunt camp this week, is anyone else going to be there?

Courtney and I wouldn't be able to make it till Sunday. Hopefully at the crack of dawn. We drive a big, blue GMC with two full size spares mounted on the bed. Say hello if you have the time. Good luck everyone.

Brent and Court

Im not going to the camp, but my brother and I will be in unit one for his tag and we will try and stop by.

Where is everyone going to be concentrated on hunting?

was a cold windy snowy nasty day today howd everyone do? My brothers hunt shoulda been over 5 minutes after it started as a bull pushed his one cow past us at 50 yards but he couldn't get on her in time for a shot. We snuck in on em in the woods, but at 90 yards, go figure, only the bull presented a shot!

Well I was up ther fri sat sun and my friends son was really disapointed in his hunt. Everyone told him it was a surething but it wasn't. We hunted everywhere and walkd a lot on seen a few cows but they were running.

It was alot harder than last year when I took my nephew. My daughter had the tag this year and we got on a few opportunities and a few misses until she finally connected last night about 5:15. She hit the spine above the shoulder and the bullet seemed to split and follow the spinal cord both ways on the elk, dropping her instantly. We saw everything from wolves to grouse.

Tag soup for us this year, but I think all of the other kids in the camp put on by Youth Outdoor Unlimited tagged out. No lack of opportunity in the area we were in and Kolin missed two shots at what turned out to be quite a bit farther than we originally estimated. After the 3 inches of snow melted the bulls in our area started bugling again and made it easy to find them, but not easy to get a shot at a standing elk.

We did not camp at the youth camp, but my son shot a smaller cow on Friday. He missed his first cow at 90 yds in the morning, but zapped one in the afternoon.

Saturday was a big day for us.... My brother shot his cow, and while up there, admiring the gorgeous sunset I propsed to m girlfriend and she accepted. Was a great day!

Saturday was a big day for us.... My brother shot his cow, and while up there, admiring the gorgeous sunset I propsed to m girlfriend and she accepted. Was a great day!

Wow Casey! Congrats to both your bro and you!

Sorry BRKNARW but if you believe in sure thing hunts you should be hunting in a high fence area. NO offense.

I was told this would be a easy hunt but driving around opening morning was anything but easy. I am sure lots of kids got pretty lucky but hunting is HUNTING. I would be more than happy to tell you specifically where we saw and eventually shot an elk if you have the rest of today and tomorrow to hunt.

We had an incredible hunt and hope my daughter draws again next year!

IT was great meeting parents and kids at the elk camp and hearing the stories!

It was meant to say due to the fact that everyonne would tell him that. I know hunting is not a sure thing especially when you are a desert hunter and sent up to the pines to hunt with no scouting. Its like bringing one of the boys frm the mountains down to my desert to hunt coues. We tried our best and sad thing is he had a jr tag for 33 and we went out two days and didn't find a decent buck. The moon and hot days messed that up. But your rite no high fences here.