savagman

Where are the squirrels?

Spent the weekend above Strawberry with my kids camping and squirrel hunting. Seems like the numbers are down, maybe due to two tough winters? Anyone have the same experience? The ones we did see ran before we got within 100 yards and didn't want to tree. Maybe older "educated" squirrels? We did manage enough for a good stew but certainly had to work harder than in past years.

Spent the weekend above Strawberry with my kids camping and squirrel hunting. Seems like the numbers are down, maybe due to two tough winters? Anyone have the same experience? The ones we did see ran before we got within 100 yards and didn't want to tree. Maybe older "educated" squirrels? We did manage enough for a good stew but certainly had to work harder than in past years.

We have squirrel feeders at our cabin in Greer and noticed a lot fewer squirrels this year, and nearly all were the smaller fox squirrels. We had only two Abert squirrels visit the feeders, and each time they were promptly run off by the more aggressive foxes.

Bill Quimby

We were up by Greens peak this last weekend and the areas with spruce and fir trees were loaded with the smaller red squirrels. If we were not elk hunting, we would have limited out every day.

Savagman:

Was thinking of heading up there this weekend, probably within 5BS. Is this where you were looking for squirrels, or lower down?

Savagman:

Was thinking of heading up there this weekend, probably within 5BS. Is this where you were looking for squirrels, or lower down?

Lower down in 5A - we were camped off FR149. Saw Aberts in the area but fairly spread out. A real nice bull in the area though - had fun one evening following him and his harem. He was screaming and a smaller bull was following on their heels and talking back a bit. Love to be in the woods during the rut. Planned to check out north of the Lake Mary Road but never made it up there. Good luck - let me know if you find it any better.

3C had squierls all over the place. Seemed like we seen Aberts about every 100 yards just driving down the road.

Same thing across the road in 4b. I was amazed at all the squirrels.

Bunches around the "lake" just past Crown King.My sister has 'em falling all over themselves in Overgaard

Was up in 3C last weekend. Didn't see nearly as many Aberts as when my wife and I were there for the turkey season. Fall break and a junior elk hunt contributed to the squirrels holing up for the weekend. Did manage to kill a couple but hoped to limit.

I was able to find some squirrels in 3c two weeks ago, but there were no where near as many as in years past. I wonder if the weather conditions this year affected the squirrel populations.