Sign in to follow this  
prowlerMan

.270 vs .308

Elkaholic unfortunatly I am still learning alot about my 308 . I have worked up anouther load that seems to be shooting great out to 700yards on paper but still have not had a chance to pull the trigger on anything farther than 200yrds.I took my rifle on a hunt my good friend had this year in 24b and I let him shoot his 1st coues with my rifle.Hopefully this weekend I will get a shot since I will be in 36b .If it does not happen then maybe next year when the wife and I go on a speedgoat hunt in Wy. B)

• Like 1

Yep. Sure do. Everyone on camp was a hand loader, so he had no market share in camp.

Do the research... Thats why factory loads are well below max for powder charge.

Yep. Sure do. Everyone on camp was a hand loader, so he had no market share in camp.

Do the research... Thats why factory loads are well below max for powder charge.

I have. I've reloaded my hunting and match shooting ammo for the last 34 years, just don't believe the 10% number.

Regarding powder charges, aren't you the guy that locked up his bolt with a reload?

Mike

Sure did. Im a human, I make mistakes. Youve never had a goof over 34 years?

And I still dont see where this comes into play with a discussion of factory ammo?!

One side opinions are worthless, but you can have mine anyways. I bought a tikka .270 and love it. It has been in the kill zone on paper out to 500 yds, and after working up a load I was able to cover up 4 shots with a quarter at 100 yds. I shot a coues at 300 yrds that was facing me head on and the bullet went throught the deer lengthwise and exited. I am shooting 130 grain barnes tipped triple shocks. I don't plan to shoot out to 1000 yrds and have no idea how my gun would perform at that distance.

I dont want to sound - well - i took my new tc venture out to the range for site in for elk - factory loads 165 were not impresive but i switched to 180 rem corelock had a 4 shot group ya could cover with a quarter at 100 - with a 4x nikon! basically right out the box with factory loads. that was an 06

each gun will have a sweet load - harder to find with factory loads - handloaders have the edge .

i know of a remington 788 in 6 mm with a cheap bushnell scope =sportview - at the gong range was dinkin all the way out to 700 - guys first trip ever to longrange - with factory ammo!

Sure did. Im a human, I make mistakes. Youve never had a goof over 34 years?

And I still dont see where this comes into play with a discussion of factory ammo?!

You're right, over the top reloading practices were not part of the original poster's question.

Your assertion that most factory loads vary 10% in shot to shot velocity (300 fps or more with most cartridges discussed here)is still absurd though...

Good luck with any upcoming hunts.

Mike

when i first read this i thought maybe it was a celebrity fist fight between me an 308 nuts and i was afraid i either missed it or couldn't remember it. anybody who thinks there is any cartridge that is even in the same universe as a .270 is seriously deficient in the brain department. the .270 is the rifle of the Gods. they shoot perfectly flat out to infinity. and that's a looooong ways. they are not affected by the wind, altitude, temprature, humidity or gravity. the only reason there are even all them other guns to start with is because there are so many igernut people. Lark.

Prowlerman if you would like some more info about the 308win go to the websight Longrangehunting.com and read the article called Making A Case for The 308 Winchester. It is a good read with some pretty good info.It is on the home page ,just scroll down all the other artcles till you find it. ;)

when i first read this i thought maybe it was a celebrity fist fight between me an 308 nuts and i was afraid i either missed it or couldn't remember it. anybody who thinks there is any cartridge that is even in the same universe as a .270 is seriously deficient in the brain department. the .270 is the rifle of the Gods. they shoot perfectly flat out to infinity. and that's a looooong ways. they are not affected by the wind, altitude, temprature, humidity or gravity. the only reason there are even all them other guns to start with is because there are so many igernut people. Lark.

Lark, you are so full of maLARKey. :lol: I am just glad I drew 1st blood here!! We would not want Prowlerman to get started off on the wrong foot with visions of graduer about the 270. :)

Nice to have you back.

Prowlerman if you would like some more info about the 308win go to the websight Longrangehunting.com and read the article called Making A Case for The 308 Winchester. It is a good read with some pretty good info.It is on the home page ,just scroll down all the other artcles till you find it. ;)

http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/308-winchester-1.php

Just who does this 'Michael Eichele' @ longrangehunting.com think he is???......The nerve of that guy to write such an article about the 308. How dare he.

i speak the truth. the .308 ain't nothin' but the red headed step kid of an argentine mauser. only good thing about it is they necked it down and made the .243. and then it led to the most useless thing on earth, right next to boar tits, the 7mm/08. oh yeah, ron white. Lark.

I am working up to 1000 yrds with my 7mm but my 3x9 Leopold is not enouph for that kind of distance. I will shoot 500 yards pretty confidently but after that I am streaching it. So if you realy want to get out there I would personally look at shooting a mag caliber such as 300win or even 300 ultra. Alot of good calibers out there just need find what works for you. Definatly need to buy some good glass. I think my next scope will be a Vortex with turets.

It will be dificult to accomplish consistantly with factory ammo. I was able to work up a load for my 7mm and love the new preformance. It was a little pricey to get started but I can know reload for half the price or less then buying factory ammo.

My 2 cents.

I did not say most have 10% variance.....

I am simply stating tolerances for MOST factory ammo is within +/- 10%. And that is the truth... That can and will be devastating at 1000 yards whether it be hand loads or factory loads that differ by that much.