Sign in to follow this  
prowlerMan

.270 vs .308

10% wow!

For a cartridge that holds 100 grains of powder this could be about a 250-300 FPS difference from shot to shot in a 300 RUM and 180 grain bullets. Using H1000 at around 100 grains equals about 30 FPS per grain. RETUMBO about 25 FPS per grain. I could see a tolerence of 1% which would be a 1 grain difference which in all honesty, is quite high. Even for factory loads.

can someone look in the record book for long range shooting-- uhh --- can anyone find the 270 ever holding any record

Thats funny right there!!!:D

Something to consider!!!!

I was thinking the same thing (1000 yds) when I bought my remington .308 mil-spec and a Sightron SIII 6-24X50 long range scope. Then when I was out lobbing rounds and spinning turrets I had no idea just how far 1000yds is!!!!! I have shot it out to 780yds and can put all rounds in about 6-7" from prone position and a bipod at that distance. (shooting under real hunting conditions and using match grade ammo). My point is a 1000yard shot is a LONG ways off. I would recommend practice and setting a limit like 600-700yds as your max distance. Also the bullet will stay at or near the 1800fps minimum.

The .308 has been proven over time to be the most accurate round ever produced. (ask army and marine snipers) :) It can stay supersonic out to 1000 yards, I would just not take a shot that far at an animal---too many variables (wind, altitude, temp, humidity, cold barrel vs. warm barrel, trigger pull, bullet variables, powder differences etc)

Let me know what you decide

If you are looking on shooting factory ammo at those distances check out Nosler Custom ammo. They have pretty strict load tollerances, and are some of the hottest and most accurate.308 hunting rounds on the market (In my opinion).-- 165 Nosler accubond or ballistic tips at 2800fps from a 24' barrel. That gives you out to around 650yds at the 1800fps minimum depending on your altitude and temp.

thankyou everyone for your responses!

i have been researching the .300s now based on that they hit harder at longer ranges. what .300s are you guys familiar with and how do you like them?

thankyou everyone for your responses!

i have been researching the .300s now based on that they hit harder at longer ranges. what .300s are you guys familiar with and how do you like them?

Used a .300 Win mag for many years as my go to hunting rifle, hard to go wrong with one. When Hornady came out with their "Heavy Mag" ammo it would shoot 1 inch groups at 200 yards pretty regularly. I preferred Nosler partition handloads for hunting but the factory ammo shot great.

Now shooting a .270 for the smaller stuff, as a tribute Lark...

Mike

Something to consider if you are using factory ammo (like I am) ;) is the cost of ammunition. I can find Federal match grade ammunition online for as low as 19.00$ a box with no tax or shipping. That means I can shoot top notch ammunition about 3-5 times as much as I can when compared to my .300wby. Also recoil is low and barrel life is much longer. Quality hunting ammunition with accubonds runs around 30.00-35.00$$ a box. Steep but much less than any other .30 caliber round. If you are looking for a GREAT and ACCURATE factory produced gun in .308 or 300win mag check out the Remington 5R milspec!! I know of lots of people who use it for f-class shooting competitions right out of the box!! I have one and it shoots .5 MOA all day with factory ammunition at 200 plus yards. (look up the reviews on the internet) I got mine form bear mountain archery for about 900-950$$

Good luck

hope some of this helps

forget about how hard something hits. just worry about where it hits. all this "knockdown" stuff doesn't mean anything. especially at a 1000 yards. nothing has much punch at that range. but they will still kill stuff. high BC bullets and a gun set up to shoot em are what you have to have to hit well at long ranges. i don't know of anyone that makes a high BC .277? if they do, you can shoot a .270 as far as anything else. it's only the thickness of toilet paper less than a .284 (7mm) and it's larger than a 6.5mm and they shoot them all the time in long range matches. actually, the .270 is true 7mm diameter. what you call a 7mm is actually a little bigger than 7mm because of the way the europeans measure the bore off the lands instead of the grooves. and it is also against the rules to use a .270 in long range matches because it ain't fair. with the completely flat trajectory and the ability to shoot one hole, 10 shot groups, at 1000 meters and the fact that that they are impervious to weather and gravity and the bullets actually go faster the farther they fly, it just ain't much of a challenge. guys would be there for a month waiting for somebody to miss. Lark.

Lark check out matrix bullets. I don't remember if someone here pointed them out to me or another forum but they have some great BC's for .277

i've been shooting the 140 hornady interloks for 30 years with real good success. no need to change now. if i want to shoot 1000 yards i have guns that will do it. years ago somebody made a 165 gr .277 bullet. can't even remember who it was, but it was a real slug and it was in the days before we knew about range finders, calibrated scopes, etc and velocity was the way to long range hunting. my old standby is a stock model 70 that was made in '48 and has had the same leupold vari x III for 30 years too. i'm real comfortable out to 500 with it and have made some shots close to 700, but there was a lotta luck involved. i would still choose a .270 over the .308 any day tho, for what it's worth. the .308 is a fine round, but i like my .270. one thing about it, all this duscussion about long range .270's has me doin' some thinkin'. soon as deer and elk season is over i'm gonna look at a new project. does berger make a high BC .277? wonder where i can find me a model 70 action? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Lark.

If you're wanting to go longer range than you feel comfortably with using your -06 , why would you consider shortening the case and reducing powder capacity ? In other words .308 aint nothin but a shortened 30-06 .

If you want to see improvemet over your -06 , then I would suggest for you step up to at least 7 rem mag and 300 wby would be even better .

actually, the .308 was developed to work better in machine guns than the '06 did. the first sporting rifle it was in was the model 88 and model 70 winchester. the 88 is a hammerless lever action. the 70 is a bolt. the '06 was hard on barrels and the extra length didn't cycle as good. there were lotsa machine guns and semi autos in the '06 in military uses, but in the early 50's they started looking at some of the limitations of the '06 and nato standardized on the .308 and called it a 7.62 nato. don't sell the.308 short. there are a lotta dead commies that can attest to it's merits. it ain'[t a .270, but it is a fine round. Lark.

WBY- does it sound like he would pay the $$$ for nosler ammo? 308nut - the reason MIchael can write that stuff is because he has literally worn out several 308s getting that knowledge. i was hunting bear in 4a today. the snow is deep and colder than alaska. prowler- if you go to rifleman journal you find that the 30-06 is a very good long range cartridge. of course there are virtually no factory guns and no factory ammo competing. get a sendero in the caliber of your choice. or get a remington 5-r 300 wm.