Coach

Pig Logic

And we should name them and make comfort animals out of them. Oh, yes no more killing them, cause their family will be sad. :wacko:

An interesting follow-up to this thread, the past decade or so, I focused a lot on my kids' hunts and got a couple here-and-there chances to go hunt them myself. One of the things I originally brought up was whether they return to the same areas of get boogered out. 

This year, well my boys are all grown and only one drew a tag, but it coincided with an important baseball tournament so he couldn't go out. I picked up a left-over tag that covered several units I have hunted with them many years back. The first spot I hadn't been to in over 10 years, I found them exactly where my oldest son, now 22 killed his first one 12 years ago. Due to outside pressures I was only able to be there for a day and a half but was in pigs the whole time. Just not the right shot. The day before my archery tag expired I decided to go to another place I hadn't been since 2006. Took the kids there with another family and their kids way back. Within minutes I found them once again exactly where they had been 12-13 years ago. 

So, to those who have said they will come back, you guys were right. 

That said, I still have a few spots where they were thick and dried up. Only time will tell if they come back. I'm betting now they will. There was a reason they were there in the first place, and that's why they'll come back. Thanks again for so many people sharing their experiences about these awesome little desert dwellers - and a final note - make good use of the meat. Handled properly it's as good as any game meat out there.

Good Hunting,

Jason

• Like 1

That is what I have found. Some spots last for years and when they do move it's not to far. Just have to relocate their new home core area. A friend of mine killed his pig this year within a hundred yards of where someone else I helped killed one around 3 years ago. I have also glassed a herd on that portion of the mountain probably the last 7 years at some point in time each year. 

This year will be the first time I ever actually hunt javelina. I've been hunting the same general area in New Mexico for mule deer for three years in a row now and I've seen javelina in the same canyon every year. Reading through this thread, it seems like that canyon is a good place to find them on my upcoming javelina hunt. Seems like even though I've previously seen them in that canyon in October, they'll probably be close by in January?

1 hour ago, bghb said:

This year will be the first time I ever actually hunt javelina. I've been hunting the same general area in New Mexico for mule deer for three years in a row now and I've seen javelina in the same canyon every year. Reading through this thread, it seems like that canyon is a good place to find them on my upcoming javelina hunt. Seems like even though I've previously seen them in that canyon in October, they'll probably be close by in January?

I'd say you have a 90% of getting into them.

Not really sure why it is, but Javis in NM are kind of hard to find. They're there - but in my few hunts in New Mexico, I've seen pretty much high concentrations of mule deer, coues deer, elk, turkey, but not as many  javis as I would expect.