Sign in to follow this  
Healy Arms

Seeing Double

This is a guest entry by Mike Healy from his home in Idaho.  Carl, his son and hunting partner, is thirteen.

Carl and I were on stand and had been calling for approximately 15 minutes with no results.  Suddenly, I spotted a single coyote cresting the low hill across from us. From 350 yards out, it proceeded to run straight into our setup.

My Wildlife Technologies electronic caller was situated well below us on the hillside and we had good cover against some large boulders.  The wind was also in our favor.

Glancing to my left, I could see Carl’s rifle leveled out and he was leaning into the scope.  Good — he had seen it also.

While easing my rifle into position for a shot at the incoming coyote, Carl fired his rifle.  Hearing the shot, the coyote I was watching pivoted and ran sideways at full speed.  Carl fired at it a couple of times and missed as it ran away.  I fired once and also missed.

When the dust settled, I stood up and said, “It got away.  Why didn’t you wait for it to come closer and stop moving before firing?”  Carl got a funny look on his face and calmly replied, “Dad, this stand was a double!  There’s a coyote on the ground out there.  My first shot took it out.  Didn’t you see it?”

Oops!  I hadn’t even seen the other coyote.  Better get my eyes checked.

We walked out and searched the brush for a few minutes.  Sure enough, a coyote was down.

I laser ranged back to the rock pile where we were sitting to be certain of the distance — 252 yards.  Nice shot Carl!

IdahoCoyoteSep2011.pngIdaho Coyote, September 2011, Remington R-15 VTR Carbine with AR Gold trigger

Thanks for reading.

Regards and good calling,

Mike Healy

View the full article

Sign in to follow this